Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2018 2:09 pm  #1

Recommended laptop specs

We have just decided to run Expedition on our boat, and I am trying to determine specs needed for a dedicated laptop.  We plan to run Expedition 4D in order to be able to use combined vector/raster charts.  From Will Oxley's book and other postings, I see following are recommended:  at least i5 processor, 8-16GB of RAM, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro (to facilitate remote connection).  How much disk space is advisable, considering space needed for charts and weather and other data?  I am leaning toward SDD rather than HDD, but larger SDDs are pricey.  Any recommendations regarding screen size or resolution?  Since we are just starting out, we are thinking of going with a generic laptop to start (with an existing laptop as a backup), and decide later about a more rugged option.  If there is anything else we should consider, I'd welcome the group's advice!  Thanks.

Last edited by davidh (4/02/2018 2:22 pm)

4/02/2018 3:36 pm  #2

Re: Recommended laptop specs

Pretty much any modern laptop will run Exp. Windows 10 definitely for the graphics support.
​We have found the Intel graphics tend to be more reliable.
​One argument for SSD is they should be more reliable on a boat.
​Where are you based? I'm not a fan of the 4D chart system so if you have alternatives ...

4/02/2018 3:55 pm  #3

Thanks for quick reply.  We are in Sydney.  We compete in coastal offshore races, and will also be doing the Sydney-Noumea race and around Noumea race in June.  Maybe Sydney-Hobart this year.  For charts, I plan to start with Aus govt ENCs, which will give us coverage for most of our racing. But we will need other chart source for New Caledonia. 

4/02/2018 4:30 pm  #4

Have a chat to Simon Weston at 33-South, link on the Exp web site.

4/02/2018 6:33 pm  #5

DH, welcome aboard.
I would want a 12 inch screen, no smaller.  With the 10 inch screens (Toshiba ToughBook small size), the screen size restricts the number of Taskbar items and the number of Number Box items that can be legibly displayed.  This gets to be more of an issue when you have a tablet in deck, since those Taskbar icons are all your forecast and weather pages, stripchart, everything else one needs to look at on a regular basis.
I should add my eyes are not 25 years old anymore, that certainly does not assist.

4/02/2018 9:04 pm  #6

For screen size I would not go smaller than 14 inch.  If space allows at your chart table go 15 inch or larger.
256Gb SSD drive is enough for W10, Expedition and MS Office (I recommend you install at least Excel as this becomes very handy for manipulating polars, sail charts etc or when manipulating data from logs etc).
8Gb RAM.
I use an Intel core i5 which is fine.

4/03/2018 12:29 am  #7

Zee, you are just spoiled ... you need to see what passes for a nav station in a TP.  Not enough height (yep, height) for 14 inch display.  Sigh.  I'd LOVE a bigger display!

4/03/2018 1:47 am  #8

Sailing a cruiser/racer (J/111) has some benefits!  ;-)

4/03/2018 9:36 pm  #9

In a couple of months I am doing Sydney-Noumea on a Cookson 12 - it has a nav table, nav station and upright seating.  That would mean not wearing a head torch and full wet weather gear when navigating down below!  On the other hand, it does 8 knots upwind ... flat out ....

4/03/2018 10:08 pm  #10

Anyone tried 2-in-1 offerings (like Lenovo Yoga) where it's possible to fold it into "tablet mode" and mount it in a pretty secure/waterproof location w extra (waterproof) keyboard/mouse?

Board footera