Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/23/2018 7:36 am  #11

Re: Core:Initialize Error

I have just encountered the same error. I tried repairing the install and also reinstalling maps manager which did not help

Based on the comment about grib files I then renamed C:\ProgramData\Expedition\Grib to Grib-old and recreated a new Grib directory. This has sorted the issue out for now and expedition is loading

Last edited by greg.brougham (7/23/2018 7:37 am)

7/23/2018 9:50 pm  #12

Yeah, not nice when you have a big race in there...I did not rename the grib folder but will try that, as it would not load on either of my 2 machines it's registered on....I then downgraded from the 4D to the regular one...it worked on one for awhile but not on the other...

Thx for sharing!! ;-)

7/23/2018 10:34 pm  #13

I'm a little skeptical as this is an error message from C-Map 4D, which has no interaction with the grib folder.

It is caused by the 4D updater deleting the WWD charts.

7/24/2018 2:49 am  #14

Nick, I did check the maps but will validate later

8/12/2018 5:14 am  #15

It does look like it is mapsmanager and it is deleting the WWD303 base map. I can do an update which allows expedition to run but if I then exit and check WWD303 has disappeared from the device . This then leads to the CM error when I then load expedition. I'm running maps manager 2.27.0.26 which is the latest that I can find. Would it be sensible to downgrade to 2.16.7?

8/12/2018 5:46 am  #16

PS I can get it to a consistent state by resetting WWD303 as per Nick's post

http://expedition.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=879

6/30/2019 6:05 am  #17

Just had another occurrence of this error on upgrading to 10.11.2 - for now I've just cleaned out the grib directory so it loads and coped back the gribs I needed for analysis

I did check c-map and it was only showing an update to wwb for the install

6/30/2019 2:17 pm  #18

That is very odd. It would have been interesting to test the grib files you had loaded here.

7/01/2019 2:06 am  #19

Nick, I've zipped and uploaded a small subset that are leading to the error and shared via dropbox

If I delete the files from the 27th and 28th and just leave the those from the 29th then expedition is fine

7/01/2019 3:02 am  #20

I am not surprised you are having problems.

Exp is a 32 bit app so you are running into the limit of what it can use. Most 32 bit apps can address 2GB of memory, but Exp is built as large address aware so can use more than 3GB on 64 bit versions of Windows.

I get an out of memory warning with those files when Exp reaches about 3.4GB. It is likely in your case that C-map is running into the limit first.

However, I can't imagine you really need all those files loaded into Exp. Most of them are just older versions of data. For example there are 4 Tidetech files of 278MB each.

Which is why if you just use the data from the 29th you are ok.

Actually, it is kind of nice that Exp can handle that much data and still function well. I have put a lot of work into optimisation over the years.

I do have a 64 bit version of Exp, but I need to finish replacing the .mdb database before making it available.

Board footera