Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2016 6:05 am  #1

General Routing Question

I am playing around with using Expedition in the VR Vendee Globe.  Currently I am 300nm NNE of Dakar.
My course is to a point south of Cape Hope.  With no other course except current position and end point it routes me along the African coast.  If I drop a midpoint mark along the course (left to port) and force my route to go 500nm west, the calculated route is 1 day faster.

So I was wondering why that faster route is not calculated when there are no restrictions to allowed course.

11/12/2016 11:59 am  #2

Re: General Routing Question

It can be worthwhile looking at the paths etc to see what is searched and with what time options.

11/13/2016 3:22 am  #3

Re: General Routing Question

I have found it really worthwhile to add a midpoint into the track when none is actually required, to check out what might happen if (say) we went outside/inside the current/weather system when conventional routing wisdom suggested the opposite.  It has to be a race of x miles, large enough that system of current changes over time make it worthwhile - in my part of the world think Syd-Hbt or Syd-Southport distances.
The big question as a navigator is how you decide this might be something to consider?  We use a meteorologist, and a good one, to cast the runes and speculate about big picture data which we then pull apart.  And then work from there with the tweaks.
A great question.

Board footera