Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/13/2016 6:40 am  #1

Setting up laptop to send bearing to next waypoint to instruments

I've joined a boat that has a laptop using expedition. The laptop is connected via usb port to the nmea bus (I'm assuming) and when running picks up the instrument data, wind, boat speed and position from our instruments/chart plotter. 

If I manually set a waypoint on the chart plotter then I can see bearing and distance to the waypoint on the instruments on the mast. I have been through all the settings in the software but have failed to get similar information out of Expedition. On a previous boat I've been able to do this, plus some other information like next wind angle and wondered how I can do this with Expedition?

For info, the boat also has a wifi network that is linked to the nmea bus, the previous nav used to use an ipad to view data and instruct the helm to steer a course. I'd rather have it on the mass and the helm can then steer his own course. 

6/14/2016 12:07 am  #2

Re: Setting up laptop to send bearing to next waypoint to instruments

When you say 'nmea bus' are you connecting to a nmea2k network through something like an actisense converter? What is the Instrument system?

6/17/2016 3:43 am  #3

Hi Ben,

The laptop has a usb to serial converter. The serial port then connects to a Nexus nx2 fdx server. We use Nexus instruments on the boat. Is that enough information for you?

Last edited by Happy (6/17/2016 3:43 am)

6/17/2016 1:17 pm  #4

Unfortunately, mark information cannot be sent over FDX to the FDX Server as there is an issue in the server that can require a return to the factory.

6/18/2016 12:53 am  #5

I've asked Nexus for help Nick, will see what they have to say. We have a chartplotter on board that sends waypoint information to the instruments, does this prove the nexus server is ok or not?

6/24/2016 1:18 am  #6

I'm doing this through custom sentences in Nexus. Works both in NX2 as well as in new NXR.

2/14/2017 11:34 pm  #7

Could i get some more details on the solution please - ie what the custom sentence setup is

Board footera