Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/01/2016 7:35 pm  #1

Importing GRIB files into Expedition

Howdy --

Is it possible to "import" a GRIB file into Expedition that has been downloaded by some other application? Specifically, what I have in mind is using the "AirMail" client to access GRIB files (either through Iridium GO!, or SSB).  I have tried pushing every button and opening every menu I can think of in Expedition and have so far not been able to figure it out.  

The reason I am going this route is it appears that using the saildocs option under weather does not work with the Iridium GO! to "pull" the GRIBS into Expedition (I've tried and gathered as much from other posts).  So I'm hoping it is possible to "push" the GRIBS into Expedition.... if you catch my drift.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mark

6/01/2016 8:16 pm  #2

Re: Importing GRIB files into Expedition

Go to the Weather page in Expedition settings. ​Then, either click the Add file button or drag the grib file onto the file list. You remove grib files from the list by selecting, then clicking Clear selected. For more detailed information, see the Exp help - Settings | Weather.

6/03/2016 5:56 am  #3

Nick --  Thanks, I guess that was pretty obvious... dunno why I didn't see that before :-(.  So, I tried downloading GRIBs through Airmail using the Iridium GO!   and then transferring the GRIB file into Expedition using the mechanism you pointed out... works, but is a bit tedious.

Is there a route to using the Iridium GO! and getting the GRIB files to Expedition that is less cumbersome?

Thanks,
Mark

6/03/2016 1:26 pm  #4

Hello The only other method would be to use XGate with between Exp and the GO. You current method won't be too inefficient in practice and Airmail may be a better download mechanism in some cases. You can just drag the grib file onto the grib file list, so it is quite easy. 

6/03/2016 5:20 pm  #5

Hi Nick -- Thanks for reply and suggestions... will look into Xgate and will exercise the airmail/expedition process a few more times.

Cheers,
Mark

6/07/2016 2:18 pm  #6

With the GO! you have a third option.  You can download and install the Iridium Mail and web app on to your smart phone.  You can use this app to open an internet connection, once opened you can use all the weather functions of expedition and down load YB tracker data as well.  After you are finished downloading you disconnect the internet connection via the app.  I have used sailmail in the past and switched to this method during the Cal Costal Cup, because it was easier.    

6/10/2016 5:57 am  #7

Ian Rogers wrote:

With the GO! you have a third option.  You can download and install the Iridium Mail and web app on to your smart phone.  You can use this app to open an internet connection, once opened you can use all the weather functions of expedition and down load YB tracker data as well.  After you are finished downloading you disconnect the internet connection via the app.  I have used sailmail in the past and switched to this method during the Cal Costal Cup, because it was easier.    

Just wanted to follow up on this, because it may be incredibly helpful for us. This is what I am understanding:

1. Connect phone to laptop (bluetooth or usb, I assume)
2. Use Iridium app to create internet connection.
3. Use expedition for gribs, yb, etc. as normal while connected to internet through the phone.

Is that fairly accurate? If not, what am I missing? I would really like to give this a try when I get to the boat next week, prior to N2B.

6/10/2016 6:40 am  #8

Howdy Ian, et. al. --

So, I am not getting why you need the smart phone connection to establish an internet connection between the GO! and the PC.  What am I missing here?

Cheers,
Mark

6/10/2016 9:15 am  #9

LeeWard Mark wrote:

Howdy Ian, et. al. --

So, I am not getting why you need the smart phone connection to establish an internet connection between the GO! and the PC.  What am I missing here?

Cheers,
Mark

The Iridium Go! does not support a direct connection from the PC without having an additional application between, such as XGate, etc. It is really targeted for email and web access from a wifi connected smartphone.

You can still get gribs over email, and then upload them, but it adds more steps to a process that has been made almost pain free through the Expedition interface. The same holds true for yb race schedule updates, only they are not as easily retrieved through email.

By passing the connection through the phone to simulate a native connection, we would be able to use the inherent functions within Expedition to request and pull the data, reducing the numbers of steps and opportunities for mistakes. Reducing opportunities for mistakes isn't a bad goal when you are offshore.

6/10/2016 11:12 am  #10

Hi All –
The Go and a Laptop can connect, but you need an approved app to open an internet connection.  So one such approved app is SailMail, I have an account and have used this in the past, but Sail Mail only opens and internet connection long enough to send and receive its own e-mail.    So the work around or easier method is to open the internet connection with the smart phone app and then use the weather functions in Expedition.   Once the connection is open the Go! acts as an advertised hot spot (with a 28.8K connection). 
Step by Step process on Mas! Our Moore 24
[list=1]
[*] Raise Go! antenna
[*]Open Iridium Mail & Wed app
[*]Connect app to Go! if not already connected
[*]Tap Connections within the App
[*]Tap “press here for connections state”
[*]Tap “Open connection”
[*]Wait about 20 seconds for the internet connection to established, a green dot will replace the red dot
[*]Put phone down
[*]Connect the laptop wifi to the Go! if not already connected, my laptop connect to this know network automatically
[*]Pull in weather info/YB info in Expedition like I was sitting at home on by deck connected to the internet. Remember the download speed is still slow, so large area files might need to be broken up in to two or three sections to be downloaded.   I have been able to pull in SF to Hawaii, but it took some time.  
[*]Once done, close the internet connection in the app
[*]Lower antenna to turn off Go!
[/list]
One thing to remember is once the internet connection is open your laptop will try and update everything it can,  the control panel you can turn off automatic updates do this before you go offshore.   

Board footera