Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/21/2016 10:47 am  #1

Start line and start gun history file

Hello,
I have some problems reading the exported .csv marks file.

This is how the file looks when I export the start marks:

These were the real positions:

I expected longitude and latitude of the marks in the .csv file.

I would find it really helpful to be able to export a file with the time stamps of the start guns from Expedition together with the positions of the two start marks at that time. 
I'm using the KND Race Replay software for post race analysis. One feature there is to enter the start marks (when you remember the positions..) and also enter a time stamp of the start gun, so you can see where you have been at which time before the start.
So far I always saved a screenshot of the start mark positions right after the race / before pinging the marks for the new race and synchronized my computer time with the time on the starting boat to find later the exact time of the gun (usually to the nearest minute). But when I forget to save the mark position before pinging that information is lost. Same when the race is started at a random time.

5/21/2016 1:00 pm  #2

Re: Start line and start gun history file

When you export marks to .csv, it should be in decimal degrees. For example.

Mark0,23.294125,-143.844081,Easy,0.000000,
 How are you saving these?

The start time is saved in events. We could add pinging the ends too.

5/22/2016 1:41 am  #3

Hi Nick,
yes, thats what I'd expect.
I'm saving them by going to Edit marks>Mark/waypoint folders, selecting 'Start' and than hitting the 'Table' button. Then saving as .csv file. 

The file then looks like this:

,P,S
P,,087°0.15
S,267°0.15,

Is there anywhere an option that I'm missing to change the file format of the .csv?

I actually never looked at the events list before.. Thanks for the tip. Would be nice to have the positions of the starting marks at the time of the starting gun in there too. I don't think it's necessary to save every single ping (for example if the pinend is pinged twice because the mark was moved, only the second position is relevant).

Exporting the events table gives correct positions (lan/lon) by the way.

In the events file there is a percentage number for start events in the comment column. Is that %target boatspeed? Or %polar boatspeed? And which polar is used? The starting polar or the performance polar? 

Last edited by nav (5/22/2016 1:42 am)

5/22/2016 1:46 pm  #4

Hello,

I forgot about that. The export function there just dumps the contents of the list as displayed, so you get the degree symbols etc. There is an export to csv function on the ribbon panel that may be better suited to your needs.

6/09/2016 2:24 am  #5

This would be a really great feature for me - I have my own software which fulfils a similar role to the KND offering and prestart performance is something ive been thinking about adding for a while, but putting off with the thought of having to keep track of the startline position separately.

This could be expanded to track mark roundings too to help with putting things into context in terms of looking back over race performance at a later date.

Perhaps this request could be summarised as:
-At 'start gun' log port and stb end lon and lat to events database
-At 'Auto Mark Advance' trigger log current active mark lon and lat to events database

In both cases this could  just be a text string in the comments, so long as it was a consistent format that could be parsed by some other software.

6/09/2016 2:36 pm  #6

I think pinging ends is now in the events ...

6/13/2016 10:58 pm  #7

I think an additional useful information for the comments in the event file would be:
1) TWA at start gun. Together with the information already included (boat lengths to line and %target speed) that gives a clear picture of how the boat was placed.
2) Seconds until crossing the start line after the gun. (In case of an early start the seconds the boat was over the line too early)

Here is a made up example that shows, why these two additional informations could be useful:
At the time of the start gun the boat was 1 boat length behind the line doing 105% target speed - so far so good, numbers are looking like a good start.
But the boat was reaching at a TWA of 80° almost parallel to the line and just coming up 10 seconds after the gun to cross the line 15seconds after the gun. With this additional information it is clear that the start was bad.

Board footera