Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/20/2015 7:31 pm  #1

Licensing question.

We are commissioning a new boat & I'm new to expedition.   As we would like to start learning the software before the final compute infrastructure is in place I have a couple of questions.

1.  Does the software license have a provision for a backup device in case of equipment failure.
2.  Is there a process for transferring a license to a new computer when equipment is upgraded.

Thanks

Guy

9/20/2015 7:39 pm  #2

Re: Licensing question.

I'm sure Nick will provide a more comprehensive answer to this but here is the relevant section from the license agreement:

ii. User may install and use a copy of the Product on one personal computer that is not primarily used aboard a vessel and may install additional copies of the Product on computers that are primarily used aboard a vessel by User.

As far as I understand your dealer can provide you licences for other computers based on how you propose using them.  Play fair and you'll get what you need.

9/20/2015 7:42 pm  #3

Perfect !   

Thanks for the instant response.

9/21/2015 8:07 am  #4

fergal wrote:

Play fair and you'll get what you need.

This sums it up in one simple sentence. I have found Nick to be exceptionally reasonable when dealing with nearly any issue. Reach out to him and explain what you are trying to do, and he can likely help you out.

9/21/2015 8:38 am  #5

It's unfortunately rare these days that software license terms map so perfectly with the way people will need to use it.
All equipment fails at inopportune times, you have to have a backup and much of the analysis & planning takes place off the boat.

It's great to see the thought that went into this.

5/06/2016 10:07 pm  #6

The problem is not with Nick.. The problem is that you cannot copy your charts. You need the dongle.

5/09/2016 2:51 pm  #7

Second all that has been said, Nick is exceptionally flexible and helpful - thanks Nick - charts are certainly an issue but you can practice routings etc just using s World chart ..... but only for practice!

8/25/2016 10:40 am  #8

In the US with older versions of Expo, you can download and use raster charts available for free downloading from NOAA. 

8/25/2016 1:45 pm  #9

You can still use the raster charts in all the new version as well.

8/25/2016 3:46 pm  #10

Yes, with any version of Exp.

​In addition to the commercial providers (C-MAP, NV-Verlag etc), RNCs and ENCs are free in places like NZ, USA, Brazil, Argentina etc.

​Official S-57 ENCs available for nominal charges for Canada, Hong Kong, South China sea etc.

Board footera