Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/13/2016 3:29 am  #1

Reading NMEA Data with the "H690/H2000 Perf" Network Setting

We have a B&G H2000/Performance Processor setup, and a new-ish Vesper WatchMate Vision AIS system.  We pick up the NMEA feed to Expedition through the Vesper's WIFI portal.  It is odd that in Expedition that the "H690/H2000 Perf" network setting does not utilize the incoming NMEA data stream, even though it "sees" the data.

When we use the H3000 network setting, incoming data is read and the data is utilized.

Below is correspondence with Vesper about this setup.  Perhaps someone on this board has some suggestions (sorry the graphics don't seem to come through):
=============================
Thomson, Thanks for the info -- got it working again.  It's great to feed the B&G, Raymarine, and AIS information to the laptop running Expedtion through your wireless feature on the WatchMate Vision.  Less wiring spaghetti and it mobilizes the laptop -- take it anywhere on the boat. BUT, we're not done here yet.  Perhaps this is really more for Nick White at Expedition than you guys at Vesper, but I figure you might have some advice on the following: 1. Since Expedition is communicating with the B&G's over WIFI and running at 34,800 BPS, will the messages from Expedition to the B&G's work?  I wonder because the B&G's are operating at 9600 baud and couldn't read messages sent at the higher speed, it would seem.  Or are they somehow sent at the right bit rate? 2. We are running the B&G H2000 with a performance processor. In Expedition, when we select the option for the "H690/ H2000 performance" option for network communications, the system doesn't work.  Specifically, the data from the B&G's is being read by Expedition, as can be seen by monitoring the raw data (using the feature within Expedition for that purpose).  The NMEA sentences are being received, such as Lat/Long, but the main Expedition screens shows "No Position"s.  And the other info such as wind speed,etc., is missing.  See screens below showing the settings used and the result as described. However, when we switch to other networking setup options, such as "H3000"  or "AIS" or many others it works fine.  See screens below.  It looks like the "H690/H2000 Performance" setup option is intended to work for other purposes than basic everyday navigation. Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dale McIvorSouthport, CT=============================================Here are the settings in Expedition for reading B&G H2000 data through the Vesper WIFI port: 
​Below shows the 'raw data' Expedition sees -- seems to be reading successfully the position, wind data, etc. At the same time, there is No Position fix and no wind data, etc. 
​​Below shows the system working with the H3000 system setting (but we have an H2000 Perf setup). You can see the system has a position fix and is getting B&G data: 
​Below shows the "Settings" page for the H690/H2000 Perf network setup -- there are several tabs for communicating with the H2000 Perf processor, but none for selecting the incoming NMEA sentences desired, which the H3000 settings has. 
​ I am guessing the the 690/H2000 Perf network settings may not have been designed for normal nav use, but just for setting up the Perf Processor. If that is the case, what 'normal' nav network setting should be used for the H2000?================================================================On Sun, May 1, 2016 at 9:45 PM, Vesper Marine Support <support@vespermarine.com> wrote:
You can add more information by replying to this email.http://www.vespermarine.com/media/images/email-sig-logo.gif"> 45 Sale Street, Freemans Bay
Auckland 1010, New Zealand Phone: [url=tel:%2B64%209%20950%204848]+64 9 950 4848[/url]
Fax: [url=tel:%2B64%209%20950%204085]+64 9 950 4085[/url]You can add more information by replying to this email. https://vespermarine.zendesk.com/system/photos/5715/3675/Thomson_1.jpg" style="max-width:100%;">Thomson Boominathan (Vesper Marine Support)May 2, 13:45Hi Dale,if you connect your PC to the Vision's WiFi network then you need to configure the nav software to use a TCP connection rather than serial. In Expedition use the settings menu to select Instruments->Number of network connections. Then add a connection. Now in the Instruments->Serial and Network Ports you can choose TCP client and configure for 192.168.15.1 port 39150 (the defauilt for your Vision).Please let me know how it goes.Best regards,
Thomson  http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/dbefa7d918170e67215a8a26afce7d39?size=40&default=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.zendesk.com%2Fimages%2Ftypes%2Fuser_sm.png&r=g" style="max-width:100%;">Dale McIvorMay 1, 03:40Hi,Used up a whole sailing day trying to get Expedition to talk to Vesper over wifi.Worked fine last summer, no go this Spring.Vesper unit working fine. Can feed data via USB plug.Can receive data via wifi on my Androud phone using your Vesper app.But no settings in Expedition can get the data from wifi.Using Expedition V10.3.9, but it does not work with the V9 I used last year now either (again, all worked fine last year).Using Windows 7.Can you please tell me how to get these systems to communicate as before over wifi?Thank you, 

5/13/2016 7:52 am  #2

Re: Reading NMEA Data with the "H690/H2000 Perf" Network Setting

Im not familiar with the vesper system but it sounds like you are mixing two different protocols?

The "H690/H2000 Perf" setup is for B&G H-link which you would typically get directly from the processor via the RS232 connection. Unless you are feeding this hlink connection into the vesper somehow I suspect what you should be setting Expedition to look for is 'NMEA0183' 

If the Vesper is receiving data from the H2000 via the NMEA out and then relaying it onto your wifi network, the original source of that data is largely irrelevent in your settings.

5/13/2016 2:49 pm  #3

Re: Reading NMEA Data with the "H690/H2000 Perf" Network Setting

It sounds as if you have embedded NMEA 1083/AIS data in your HLink data? Exp just reads one or the other from any one connection,

Board footera