Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/17/2023 8:35 pm  #1

Using PC/Expedition as sole Instrument Processor

I've seen enough posts to gather that some folks are using nmea2k transducers and sensors, and using Expedition to calibrate, rather than, say an H5000 or Sailmon processor. 

1.  What do those processors do that Expedition doesn't?  Is it just a matter of reliability (as PC's do crash)?  

I've also seen that Nick has suggested that best practice is that only calibrated data be on the bus. 
2. Is it possible, and if so, would it make sense, with two NGT-1s for example, to have an uncalibrated data bus with the sensors and transducers serving as an input to expedition, and a separate bus with calibrated output from expedition, plus GPS, and displays? 
3. Alternatively, if I intend to output display data to a B&G FFD with NMEA 0183 input via a NGW-1, can I rely on the N2k talker prioritization in the NGW-1 to only display (calibrated) data from Expedition, ignoring the PGNs emanating from the uncalibrated sensors/transducers?  Would an added benefit be that, if the computer went offline, that the NGW-1 would send uncalibrated instrument data to the displays while we rebooted the computer?

We have an ageing H3000 performance system.  Rather than Sailmon, A&T, or H5000, I am looking to replace the various sensors (perhaps depth, temp, bsp, and pitcht/rim with a 810 Plus unit; wind from a digital yacht n2k wind instrument, a n2k compass, and n2k load cell amplifier). GPS and AIS are already on the 2000 bus.  
4. Is it workable to calibrate the data from these sensors in expedition and then output expedition-calibrated values directly to mast and cockpit displays via n2k?  In this expedition processor-only setup, are there displays other than the new garmins to consider?
5. Regarding the point in question 3, does anyone have practical experience with displaying expedition-calibrated BSP, TWA, etc. on fastnet displays via a FFD with nmea 0183?  I read that you have to "accept some delay"--does that just mean that the displays might refresh at 1hz, or are we talking multiple seconds?  Is this a usable setup for racing?
6. This is a longshot: I'm not exactly sure how to select specific outputs for a 20/20 unit using an FFD.  We use a H3000 GFD for that (our FFDs all say H2000).  Assuming one of my H2000 FFDs has a NMEA 0183 input, once the calibrated expedition data is on the fastnet bus via the H2000 FFD, can I continue to use the H3000 GFD to select what data is displayed on the 2020s?  Will I be able to select various TWA TWS BSP, Depth, etc. on all of the other H2000 FFDs as I can now?

Last edited by Arma61211 (8/17/2023 8:47 pm)

8/18/2023 3:50 pm  #2

Re: Using PC/Expedition as sole Instrument Processor

For sure any decent processor should do better at being an instrument processor than Exp.

The Exp system was just designed for basic for simple instrument configurations that don't send TWD, TWS, TWD, set, drift etc.

It doesn't do any filtering, even single term filtering. I am not sure that H3000 did much, but it is closer to the raw paddle and wind speed pulses and angles.

Some data can be faster, but I think of NMEA 0183 is really a slow 1Hz system.

I have a B&G Edge in the office. If you don't need the extras for the new Hercules, it is an interetsing option. Of course, the issue you have is the migration from the fastnet displays to NMEA 2000.

Board footera