Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/21/2023 9:10 am  #1

Hanging/crashing when panning maps or zooming

This is a "race starts tomorrow and sudden new issue" type of question.  

-Version 11.19.13
-i7 laptop, W10, updated, plenty of memory
-Charts:  recent NOAA RNCs (and ENCs)
Nothing else running

Basically things will be fine, but the following will cause Expedition to hang, for up to several minutes, during which time the Exp process is consuming ~20-30% of proc utilization.  During this time Exp will not close (have to kill the process).  Also, while hung readouts on number boxes all hang, although Strip Charts window works fine.

-panning (more than a very small amount)
-zooming (more than one or two clicks)
-switching charts (regardless of the chart)

Chicago Mac starts tomorrow - any ideas on a fix?  Right now it is not usable.  Was having a similar problem a few weeks ago but it would only hang for a few seconds.

Help appreciated.

EDIT: I just noticed the tech note about GeForce cards and 4D version (which is what I'm running).  This laptop has a GEForce GTX 950m.  Not sure why no previous problems, but could this be my issue?

Last edited by ctownj30 (7/21/2023 9:14 am)

7/21/2023 11:34 am  #2

Re: Hanging/crashing when panning maps or zooming

Does it also happen on the newest version 11.19.18?

Maybe also try running non 4D Version if you are using ENC’s
I am running both, 4d for CMAP only and
Standard max version for EMC’s.

7/21/2023 1:34 pm  #3

I haven't heard of the GeForce problem with 4D for a long time.

If you are using 4D charts, then it can be a bad download, although that normally results in C-Map crashing.

There are two things you can try.

1. The Expedition System restore app. Start with teh Display states option. Note that you can back up all settings from the menu at the to left.

2. Delete/move the Expedition data folder and let Exp make a new one.

7/21/2023 1:43 pm  #4

So, a bit more information:  although I'm using 4D, I never got C-maps (planned to but somewhat like the the rasters).  

I've learned since my last post that if I switch the CMAP, even though there is no data, there is no issue: can pan/zoom/etc with no problems, so this is only affecting ENC/RNC views.  This at least gives me a workaround albeit not a great one.

Does that change things as all as far as recommendations? 

Last edited by ctownj30 (7/21/2023 1:50 pm)

7/21/2023 2:03 pm  #5

That helps.

Firstly, try updating Exp to the latest release. I found an issue with RNCs and older graphics.

If that doesn't help, try rebuilding your chart database.

7/21/2023 2:35 pm  #6

Ok - was hesitant to update just before the race, but just did and so far so good, thanks!

7/26/2023 8:01 am  #7

Update for anyone else running into this:  the .13 > .18 upgrade completely solved my problem.  Was hesitant to touch it the night before the race but went off w/o a hitch.  Thanks Nick!

10/16/2023 9:51 pm  #8

I just installed the latest version of expedition 4D and downloaded c-map 4D and every time I try and open c-map Expedition hangs and turns off... I went to system restore and ran the display states option but it still hangs and turns off when I try and open c-maps

10/16/2023 10:59 pm  #9

Have tyou seen the Errors note in the Exp 4D help? That may help.

Otherwise, crashes in 4D are often related to a bad download. One solution is to disable the areas until you find the bad one, the remove and re-download it.

Last edited by Nick (10/16/2023 10:59 pm)

10/17/2023 7:32 am  #10

Hi Nick
the program works perfectly until i click open the c-map chart then it hangs and shuts down. I went into the c-map setting and disabled all the settings and it zoomed in closer and then hung and shut down again. the c-map sight indicates no problem with my download and does not seem to have an option to redownload the chart... I have only the west coast/Mexico Hawaii max chart installed (NA -D024). do I delete the chart to redownload? 
my computer system is:  
Windows 11 Pro
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1195G7 @ 2.90GHz   2.92 GHz
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Board footera