Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2023 10:32 am  #1

Quick guide resources

Hi chaps and chapesses,

Am a newbie to Exp 4D, and looking for some video content that logically runs thru some of the basic 'how to's in a structured way. Manuals are great (well prob not really!) but for the large part, video is so much more effective!

Assuming the baseline performance data is loaded in for one's own boat...

1. What's the typical process or sequence of events to adopt before an inshore race?
2. Ditto above but offshore (I guess then the YB tracking is important)
3. Calibrating process - for the layman! 

What (free) resources are out there that present this sort of stuff in an easy-to-follow way, please? I can't believe no one hasn't done a youtube on this ;)

Rgds
IG

1/31/2023 1:12 pm  #2

Re: Quick guide resources

Have you seen the Exp resources web page?

Will Oxley's ebooks are the best.

I certainly prefer something written rather than having to listen through a video ...

1/31/2023 2:58 pm  #3

I would echo Nick's advice on Will Oxley's books. Great for general reading and very informative.

For something more structured, I have a pdf version of the Exp users guide on a Kindle / iPad, and then I read from this and practice using Exp on the laptop.

As a final thought (although not free!) a training session with a professional navigator using Exp was brilliant. Very informative and loads of tweaks and tips that afterwards you wonder how you did it any other way  

2/02/2023 4:08 am  #4

Offshorevirgin wrote:

Hi chaps and chapesses,

Am a newbie to Exp 4D, and looking for some video content that logically runs thru some of the basic 'how to's in a structured way. Manuals are great (well prob not really!) but for the large part, video is so much more effective!

Assuming the baseline performance data is loaded in for one's own boat...

1. What's the typical process or sequence of events to adopt before an inshore race?
2. Ditto above but offshore (I guess then the YB tracking is important)
3. Calibrating process - for the layman! 

What (free) resources are out there that present this sort of stuff in an easy-to-follow way, please? I can't believe no one hasn't done a youtube on this ;)

Rgds
IG

Some of what you describe isn't out there free in the public domain as it is garnered over years of experience and is valuable. Hence Wills books and other resources are paid for.

I offer 1:1 online tuition if you wish to shortcut the learning process or take things a step further.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

Board footera