Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/17/2022 3:53 am  #1

True Wind Angle, Speed & Direction not Displaying

Hi All,

I have just reconnected to my NMEA 2000 network after a couple of weeks away from the boat, and the TWS, TWA & TWD values are not being displayed. Everything else appears to be working fine - apart from these. They were working last time, so the only thing that I can think is that one of the Exp updates needs me to adjust a setting. I have a B&G system with DigitalYacht iKonvert and currently I have Exp set to calculate these TW numbers.

Any ideas? I am missing something simple? I've tried a couple of reboots of Exp, laptop & instrumentation as well as checking settings and all looks to be in order...

Thank in advance! 

Last edited by Tigger_B (9/17/2022 3:55 am)

9/17/2022 1:33 pm  #2

Re: True Wind Angle, Speed & Direction not Displaying

Check you still have Exp set to calculate these. The options moved to Exp's system settings recently as part of the continual improvement process.

9/18/2022 9:33 am  #3

Thanks Nick, I did check and the correct boxes looked to be 'checked' in the system settings. I am back on the boat tomorrow so will take a screen shot of what I see and maybe you can confirm if this is correct?

9/18/2022 9:29 pm  #4

I had a similar problem when my boat was in it's berth in the marina a few weeks ago.
In my case the instruments calculate TWA, TWD and TWS and feed it to Expedition.   However, the corresponding number boxes in Expedition did not display them.

It turned out that everything was fine!  
What happened that in the marina there were to few moving particles in the water to make the ultrasonic  speed sensor work.  As a result the BSP was not available and thus TWA, TWD and TWS could not be calculated by the instruments and this not displayed by Expedition.
An hour later all worked fine again as there were enough moving particles to trigger the speedo!

9/18/2022 11:35 pm  #5

Thanks ZeeZee!

I was indeed in the marina. I remove the paddlewheel DST when I'm not using the boat, so this was the case when the TW data was missing. I wondered if the situation you described could be the case, so I actually spun the wheel manually for a couple of minutes to register a speed on the Exp display. The TW numbers didn't reappear at this time, but maybe the speed needs to be a bit more stable for it to be able to perform the TW calcs.

Previously, in this exact situation (marina with DST removed) Exp showed the same TW values as the AW.

I'll let you know the outcome of my investigations! 

9/23/2022 3:01 am  #6

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay, I had tested positive for COVID

I have checked the settings for Exp calculations and I believe these are correct to get TW shown. Below (hopefully it works) is a screenshot of the Digital Yacht RAW pop-up box. Happy to hear if something is incorrect here?

I also tried to replicate boat speed by spinning the log by hand for a few minutes. This didn't trigger TW numbers to appear, and despite managing to get a stable(ish) speed of 3,5kts...

Any other ideas? 

https://imgur.com/a/TmTPlZZ

PS. Image link updated as it didn't work originally.

Last edited by Tigger_B (9/23/2022 9:16 am)

9/23/2022 11:48 am  #7

Those options are for calibration? Have you told Exp to calculate twd, tws & twa?

Settings on the Exp system settings page.

9/24/2022 3:25 am  #8

Thanks Nick!

I was convinced I was looking at the right menu options, but clearly not! Setting updated and working perfectly again!

At least I didn't show my lack of Exp knowledge on a public forum with 1000's of other users - that would have been really embarrassing! 

9/24/2022 1:10 pm  #9

Sorry - those options were moved recently as part of the continual effort to simplify things and there wasn't any easy way to copy the old ones.

3/17/2023 7:42 pm  #10

With an H5000 connected to Exp v11.18.4 thru websocket (NMEA2000) or wifi Zeus (NMEA0183), if i do not tick the TWA & TWS and TWD boxes, i get no true wind information displayed.When i tick the boxes,then i get the EXP calculated true wind, but these are slightly different to the B&G calculated (and calibrated true wind). I was of the understanding that the B&G true wind values should be dislayed and used in EXP if the calculation boxes are left unticked. I get nothing. Any help appreciated.

Board footera