Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/23/2022 7:10 am  #1

Damping

Hello,
I'm running Expedition using an H5000 Hydra and am struggling with jumpy laylines and predictor lines. At present I have damped the following values:

Set and drift 30 seconds
TWS and TWD 10 seconds

Has anyone had any experience of how best to calm things down a bit more without going overboard. I think I read somewhere that someone was using 90 second damping for TWD and TWS but I'm worried that might be overkill. We're predominantly an offshore rather than inshore round the cans boat.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

6/23/2022 12:17 pm  #2

Re: Damping

Don't forget to damp set & drift too.

6/26/2022 12:07 am  #3

I've damped set and drift but still quite jumpy. I think i'll try experimenting with more TWD and TWS damping.

7/14/2022 12:05 am  #4

Kite wrote:

I've damped set and drift but still quite jumpy. I think I'll try experimenting with more TWD and TWS damping.

I typically use 5 sec damping in Exp for TWS and this settles the usually noisy TWS from H5.

You are damping in Exp, or are you referring to the B&G damping?

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

7/14/2022 12:30 am  #5

Hello Campbell,

Many thanks for your reply. At present this is how I have things set up:

H5000 Hydra - All settings damped to 5 seconds. This is primarily because we have 3 x 20/20 displays which are showing H5000 HDG, BSP and TWA.

We also have H5000 displays on deck which are displaying Expedition numbers (targets, polar targets etc.)

Expedition - Set and Drift both damped to 60 seconds and TWD and TWS damped to 10 seconds.

The 20/20 numbers seems to OK but the Expedition numbers, predicter lines and laylines jump all over the place.

7/14/2022 12:43 am  #6

If it is the Websocket, the data sent is undamped from the H5000.

7/14/2022 1:10 am  #7

Hi Kite

Did you remember to set the numbers boxes to "system" for the damping? If not then they will show the undamped values.

7/14/2022 2:29 am  #8

Number boxes damping will not affect predictor and laylines.

Predictor lines - you may have to add some damping to cog & sog (3s?)

Unsure about laylines etc - try increasing TWS/D damping, if not settled at ~10s then something else is going on.

Feel free to contact me directly and I could remote in etc.

7/15/2022 4:03 am  #9

I'll try adding damping to COG and SOG when we're out next weekend and see what happens. 

Probably a stupid question but can I see the effects of changing the damping if I run a replay of a race or do I need to be out in a live environment before changing the damping?

7/15/2022 4:08 am  #10

Kite wrote:

I'll try adding damping to COG and SOG when we're out next weekend and see what happens. 

Probably a stupid question but can I see the effects of changing the damping if I run a replay of a race or do I need to be out in a live environment before changing the damping?

Unsure, but I suspect you will need live data.

Board footera