Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/21/2022 12:37 pm  #1

Test calibration values

I'm not sure if this could already be done by using expedition calculations and calibrations in old log files, but if not - would it be possible to "test" new calibration values on old log files?

I do calculations and calibrations in H5000 but I'm constantly looking for ways to improve calibrations by looking at the log files in expedition. Most of the time I make a best guess from expedition, go back to the boat, recalibrate - run a new course - and back to expedition again to check - often I start over again...

What would really help would be to try different calibrations in expedition and directly see from the track and the stripchart what the current set and drift would have been leg by leg should I have used a different calibration for heading or leeway. Or similarly how would by TWD be different tack to tack in the stripchart if I had used other calibrations for AWA / TWA ....this could of course be useful for all calibrations from compass offset, to speed calibrations ... and everything else  

I guess I'm looking for a feature to go back in logs and switch back and forth looking at either the data in the log file as recorded, or recalibrated using expedition calculations and calibrations instead of logged values... to play around with different values until the stripchart and data in the track looks consistent.

6/21/2022 9:09 pm  #2

Re: Test calibration values

You might be able to do that with (eg) Njord. A lot of people are using it for analysis.

Sailing performance might be able to do it too.

Board footera