Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/07/2022 10:22 am  #1

Rotate / scale wind (theory)

Hello,

I've been trying to advance my own conceptual framework for how to operate as a navigator when weather data doesn't match conditions (always?). Do any of you recommend resources (articles, webinars, etc.) that address this in detail? 

More specifically, how are people using rotate, scaling, and reduce scaling over time features in expedition? How do you interpreting and use resulting routes? 

Thanks!

4/07/2022 12:39 pm  #2

Re: Rotate / scale wind (theory)

T,
That's a great question!
One tool that I think helps a lot, if you have time before a race, to answer that question is the Optimizing tool itself.

Optimal tab > Optimize > T% Tws%  and  T+- Twd +-

It will give you the answer to how much a variation in 'WX' will change where you send the boat.
Ernie

4/07/2022 2:06 pm  #3

Will Oxley talked about it his latest webinar.

Btw, there are updates and fixes to this in the latest update.

4/08/2022 2:37 pm  #4

Thank you. It seems to me that rotating winds (and probably other manipulations) produce non-physical wind fields and therefore only small and short term rotations make sense. What sort of rotations and timescales do you find are valid?

I had hoped to join Will's webinar, but the time change was rough, I'll enquire about a recording.

Board footera