Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/29/2022 9:38 am  #1

Expedition, Windows 11, and Actisense NGT-1

Howdy --
In the process of upgrading our nav to a new laptop (Dell XPS-17), came installed with Windows 10... I 'upgraded' (perhaps foolishly) to Windows 11, and updated to the most recent Expedition version.  Expedition appears to work OK, can access GRIBs, load polars, and run optimizer.  However, yesterday took the laptop to the boat (she is on the hard currently) with the goal of verifying that we could get instrument data to Expedition.

Had to download the Actisense driver, but noticed that they only advertise compatibility up to windows 10 :-(.  Had read the difference between Windows 10 and 11 was mostly trivial... so hoped the Actisense driver would be OK.  However, was not able to get instrument data to Expedition.  Could not see anything on the strip chart.

Next, I downloaded the Actisense NMEA2000 'Reader' which is supposed to allow you to inspect all of the sentences on the network.  Saw nada :-(.  

I did submit a ticket to Actisense, but any advice that the NMEA2000/Actisense/Expedition sages on this board could offer would be much appreciated. 

Cheers,
Mark

1/29/2022 12:03 pm  #2

Re: Expedition, Windows 11, and Actisense NGT-1

Hello,

What sort of Actisense adaptor is it?

You shouldn't have to manually install a driver. I have an XPS13 with Windows 11 and Actisense NGT-1 works out of the box on it.

Can you see the port for the Actisense in Exp? If so, does it say open or closed?

Can you see the serial port in Windows' device manager?

1/29/2022 1:21 pm  #3

Hi Nick -
Thanks for reply...
I'm not at the boat, currently, but will do my best to answer your questions now, and will followup Monday when I'm on the boat.

-- Not sure what you mean by Actisense adaptor?  It is plugged in to my Raymarine STNG network on one end and USB on the other.  I do have a USB to USB-c adaptor plugged into the computer because the computer only has USB-C.  Not sure what is in-between the Actisense unit and the STNG network-- that must be what you mean by adaptor?.  That connection is buried in the nav panel, so I'll have to dig that out.

-- When we first setup the NGT-1 with a laptop running Expedition in 2016, I don't recall having to download a driver either.

-- When I first plugged the NGT-1 USB cable into the computer I went to the device controller and got some kind of message along the way that I needed a driver.... so, went to the Actisense website and downloaded it.

-- I can't recall whether or not I could see the port in Expedition, I'll look Monday.  But, in the Actisense 'Reader' I did see the port and as I recall it said 'open'.

-- Yes, I do recall seeing the port in the Windows device manager.  Port 3 maybe?

Cheers,
Mark

1/29/2022 2:33 pm  #4

Hello,
The question was whether it was NGT-1, NGW etc.
Make ure you select Actisense as the instrument type in the port settings.
If it does say open and you aren't getting any data and you aren't eggttign any dat in Exp's raw data window or the Actisense app, the obvious thing to do is to check the NGT-1 is connected to the network.
Obviously you can't have Exp and teh Actisense app connected to it at the same time.

1/29/2022 2:34 pm  #5

It might also be worth updating the NGT-1 firmware. There were some updates last year.

1/29/2022 2:59 pm  #6

Ahah.  I'll bet its the firmware.  That would be consistent with some of the vague error messages I was getting.  The NGT-1 works with the old laptop and earlier version of Expedition, so I know it has been connecting.  I'll also check whether instrument type actisense was selected.  Thanks much, will report back Monday.
Cheers,
Mark

1/29/2022 5:02 pm  #7

1/31/2022 1:54 pm  #8

Hi Nick -- So, I did update the firmware, and now I'm getting instrument data to Expedition.  Thanks!
Mark

1/31/2022 2:05 pm  #9

Thanks for letting us know!

Board footera