Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/21/2021 11:48 pm  #1

Model names

Using V11.14 and I am having some trouble with grib model names. My biggest problem at the moment is that I subscribed to the BOM Access-C and Access-G models for the Sydney to Hobart and I cannot use them the way I had originally intended. Access-C is high res and 36 hours and Access-G is low res and 240 hours. I was hoping I would load all into Expedition and see them as a single model where Expedition does its hierarchical sorting when optimising.  For example, let say I load 3 grib files into Expedition: The region Access-G, the NSW Access-C and the Victoria/Tasmania Access-C. Expedition sees them as 3 separate models named Access G, Access PH and Access VT. Effectively, I am forced to select one or the others. We are a small boat and it will take 5 days to get there and that means the high res models are useless if they cannot be complemented by the low res model into a single model.Is there a way around that? Another and lesser problem (has an easy work around) I have with model names goes the other way. I have access to  5 current models but some of them have the same name in the models pull down menu in Expedition:1) Mercator from PW shows as "BSH/GMN/Tidetech"2) RTFOS from PW shows as "NCEP 0 0"3) Hycom from PW  shows as "BSH/GMN/Tidetech"4) Combined Model from Tidetech shows as "BSH/GMN/Tidetech"5) Global Model from Tidetech shows as "BSH/GMN/Tidetech"I can select and deselect them in Settings, but it would be nicer to be able to tell them apart in the main page.  Is there a way to rename them? Thanks,Carlos 

12/22/2021 12:03 am  #2

Re: Model names

Yes, you can load all three Access models in Expedition. Exp will seamlessly merge the Access data and choose the highest resolution/latest at any point and time. Just leave the default at "All models" in the drop list.

Selecting an individual model is just if you want to use one specifically.

If course, it is a little more complicated if you also want to use GFS, UM, ICON etc.

I don't have any control over how PW encodes their grib data. I am not sure if they have either. The BSH/GMN/Tidetech are just some of the groups that set all the ids to null, so I used that as a catch-all.

Anyway, you just want only the best current model loaded, whatever that happens to be on the day.

It would be hard to change the codes in the grib data.

12/22/2021 12:31 am  #3

Thanks Nick.

Yes I had loaded Access G, Access PH, Access VT, EC and GFS and selected "All models". I clicked Ensemble hoping to get 3 routes, but I can see Expedition tries to calculate 5 and fails on 2 as the hi res models durations are not long enough. The 3 resulting route names are:
"AXS I Med 19:19:13", "ECMWF 0 153 I Med 19:19:19" and "GFS I Med 19:19:26".

Than I pressed Optimize with "All models" selected. It calculates a route, but it is not clear to me which model was used. The result name was "I Med 19:20:29" 

Than I unselected the the EC and the GFS in Settings, selected "All models" as you suggested and I could optimise. The result name was "I Med 19:21:38". The outcome was slightly different from "AXS I Med 19:19:13" which I think it means it used the high res model where and when it could.

12/22/2021 12:48 am  #4

Yes, you won't be able to use the ensemble option with the 3 Access models loaded and have Ex treat them as one.

As you find, you would need to run all the Access together with the other models not loaded.

With All models, it will try to find the latest and highest resolution data available so it generally is recommended to only load individual models unless you are using the ensemble option or selecting an individual model, which doesn't work in this case as you want to blend 3 specific models.

12/22/2021 12:53 am  #5

That makes sense. Thanks for the quick replies Nick. That was awesome!

Board footera