Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/02/2021 5:35 pm  #1

Boat Position

Not sure what I messed up.  Running 11.11.1 and lost the ability to show the boat's position despite hitting "reconnect instruments".  Nothing else has changed on the set up except updating to the latest version.  What am i missing?

9/02/2021 6:00 pm  #2

Re: Boat Position

There is a new option to select the GPS source rather than having to select/deselect all the ports.

Exp tries to work it out from the previous selection, but maybe it couldn't in this case.

On the instruments window ...

Last edited by Nick (9/02/2021 6:16 pm)

9/04/2021 3:45 am  #3

Still no luck showing boat position.  My AIS/GPS input comes from a Vesper XB8000.  I don't see that instrument as an option on the new GPS tab in Instruments.  Is there another way to connect it?  Thanks

9/04/2021 12:54 pm  #4

The Vesper AIS data will be from a network or serial port.

You just need to select that port as the GPS source.

The idea is that we only want one GPS source at any time.

9/09/2021 5:48 pm  #5

So I have the following configured, but still cannot get the boat's position to show up:

Instruments>GPS Source>Network 0 (NEMA 0183 AIS)
Instruments>SART AIS & DSC set to Network 0

Network 0 set up with:
Instruments = NEMA 0183 AIS
Connection = UDP
Address = 192 168 15 1
Port 39150

WIFI is active on my computer to Vesper.  Vesper firmware up to date.

I must be missing a check box somewhere within Expedition.  Just can't figure it out.
Thanks for any support.

9/09/2021 5:52 pm  #6

For NMEA 0183 AIS, only the VDM sentence is selected by default.

Check any others you wish to use.

Else, it will be more easier to email me directly.

2/09/2022 6:24 am  #7

I am connecting Expedition to Vesper. I’m assuming  a successful connection because I can see the raw string data. However, I’m not seeing the traffic on the c-map. I must be missing something.
Using NMEA 0183 AIS from the dropdown
UDP 10.1.1.1: 39150 

2/09/2022 10:18 am  #8

What does the raw data look like?

There are options to display AIS targets (or not) on the AIS settings page. They should be enabled by default.

Can you see anything in the AIS window?

2/09/2022 10:59 am  #9

I’ll have to reconnect later today to see the specifics of the raw data, but it was a feed of string data.
There is no AIS data in the target window either. I was talking to another expedition user and he stated that if the target list is empty there probably is an issue with connection configuration.

2/09/2022 11:14 am  #10

It should start with !AIVDM and look something like

!AIVDM,1,1,,A,13u?etPv2;0n:dDPwUM1U1Cb069D,0*23

Make sure you have VDM selected to be received, although this should be is you have selected NMEA 0183 AIS.

Board footera