Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2021 3:31 am  #1

Raymarine C120 W connection

I'm trying to connect the Raymarine C120 . I have AIS target data on the C120 and I've got boat instrument data but I can't get other AIS target info onto Expedition. Does anyone have a suggestion or crib sheet on the settings required?

5/08/2021 12:59 pm  #2

Re: Raymarine C120 W connection

How are you connected to it?

5/08/2021 10:21 pm  #3

HI Nick,
Thanks for the quick response, I'm connected via a serial cable connection from the Raymarine C120 via converter block to USB into the PC. Overnight a friend has messaged me to say he doesn't think the C120 will transmit AIS data which is odd but it us an old device. I'll see if I can get any more info on that from Raymarine.

The only workaround I can think of is the boat has just had a brand new Raymarine AIS700 Class B transceiver / Spitter fitted and I'm wondering if there's a spare port on it I can get the data direct from. I don't suppose my luck is in and you've any experience of doing that have you or any alternative ideas?

UPDATE: I've found out that the AIS700 does have a USB 2.0 port in the front of it which has a port cover on it at the moment so it's almost certainly available - This looks hopefully though I'm hoping you or someone may have experience of that working and the settings needed.

Thanks again
​Simon

Last edited by Simon D (5/08/2021 10:41 pm)

5/09/2021 1:48 pm  #4

A simple option is to replace the connection with an NGT-1 to the NMEA 2000 network.

5/09/2021 11:12 pm  #5

Thanks Nick this does look like a simple add in and a sensible additon - though I think the network is NMEA0183 not 2000.
've asked the Ryamarine engineer if this will work and his answer isn't very clear. His response "It will work as long as expedition can take AIS from a different USB port to the instrument data. You would still need existing connection to C120"

I read this to mean I could get AIS data this way but not boat instruments which it sounds like I've got to get from the C120. If this is the case I'm thinking a combination of feeding AIS data from the new Raymarine AIS700 via the USB2.0 port + Boat data from the Raymarine C120 via the existing serial cable.

Do you think this would work or should I expect the NGT-1 to pick up boat info if I patch it into the network?
Thanks again for your guidance on this.

5/10/2021 12:26 am  #6

Yes, the USB port on the AIS would just (may) send AIS data. If is doesn't it would be NMEA 0183.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the C120 apart from what I just read on the internet.

The NGT-1 will pick up everything available on the NMEA 2000 network.

5/10/2021 12:35 am  #7

Thanks again for the response and info Nick. I've got the expedition lap top currently being taken back to factory settings with a new processor and increeased RAM being added so if I can get that done this week. Expedition reloaded I'll try to get down to the Fastnet boat this weekend and try the USB to AIS option.

5/10/2021 7:43 am  #8

Simon,
I'm working on a similar problem with a Raymarine E Series (E-120) legacy Seatalk  (not the NG) .

I'm thinking now we need a multiplexer (MUX) to combine the Seatalk from the E120 and also the NMEA 0180 AIS data from the Icom M-204 VHF then feed them from  the MUX  through a USG-2 (or other) opto-isolator then to the PC.

Maybe one of the more data savvy forum members can chime in and confirm this or add some suggestions.

Ernie

5/20/2021 3:00 am  #9

I'm still trying to resolve this and with help from the Raymarine engineer I think the NGT-1 might be the solution but can I check:
 1. Expedition can receive data from two inputs (I'm 100% certain it can but tripple checking nothing has changed)2. If have two feeds using the NGT1 using instruments settings I'd use Actisence ASCII setup for AIS and NMEA 183 from the plotter. Is this correct?
3. If we do end up with two feeds Raymarine are concerned I'll have to GPS feeds to expedtion. Can I switch one off in expedition?

5/20/2021 3:18 am  #10

You can have as many connections as you wish.

Actisense sells as NGT-1 with a Raymarine connector I believe.

Yes, you would turn one of the GPS data feeds off. Of course the other question is whether you need the NMEA 0183 connection. If everything you need is on the NMEA 2000 network, then all you need is the NGT-1.

Board footera