Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2021 2:52 am  #1

Expedition data over Wifi to n2K (Garmin GNX 120)

I have a setup with a B&G H5000 processor connected via ethernet to a wifi router. Expedition is connected to the wifi router and H5000 via websocket.

I'm thinking about adding Garmin GNX 120 displays, what are my options to display Expedition custom data on the GNX displays without having a physical PC connection? My PC is a rugged laptop.   

3/31/2021 5:42 am  #2

Re: Expedition data over Wifi to n2K (Garmin GNX 120)

You would need a second connection. If you have a fixed connection, this is as simple as adding an Actisense NGT-1 USB. I personally think this is a good idea anyway for GPS and AIS data.

For WiFi, the Actisense W2K-1 is essentially receive only at this point, but I believe the Yacht Devices Wifi gateway would do it. I would have to confirm that with testing unless someone else can confirm it.

3/31/2021 5:48 am  #3

Thanks - what do you think about plugging an Actisense NGT-1 USB into a wifi router USB port or plugging a USB Hub like https://www.deltaco.se/produkter/signalhantering/usb/hubbar/3-portar/USB-H3 into the ethernet port of the wifi router - and connect the NGT-1 to the USB hub - would I be able to access it from the same wifi?  

3/31/2021 5:54 am  #4

3/31/2021 11:03 am  #5

It may, but I haven't tried anything like that.

Another option is the -ISO version of the NGT-1. Then you can connect it to a serial to Wifi adaptor such as a Moxa. The Yacht Devices solution may be simpler and cheaper though as it is just one device.

3/31/2021 11:29 am  #6

Update. Have had confirmation from 33-South in Sydney who do a lot of this.

Both Yacht Devices and the NGT-1-ISO & Moxa combination work well in this scenario. The YD may be better suited for smaller boats.

They also confirmed my instinct to avoid USB for this scenario.

3/31/2021 11:05 pm  #7

Thank you so much for digging! I've used a Yacht devices wi-fi gateway for years as a one-way data source ... I see now I can set it bi-directional - if it works it will be a perfect solution =)

4/01/2021 4:04 pm  #8

There are a couple of comments on YD in the Expedition help.

8/11/2021 6:55 am  #9

I'm using the Actisense NGT-1 USB and it works fine when it is connected to my laptop at the nav station.
i have also installed the Actisense N2K wifi adapter so i can take my laptop on deck.  But when i do that i don't see any N2K data in Expedition.  How do I set up Expedition to use the Actisense N2K wifi capapbility?  I do understand that this N2K data from the Actisense wifi adapter is receive only.
thanks.

8/11/2021 12:43 pm  #10

Are you connected to the W2K?

Do you see any data in the Expedition raw data window?

How did you set up the W2K to send?

There is a mention in the Expedition help, but the Actisense documentation will be more extensive on the device.

Board footera