Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/18/2021 3:07 am  #1

Lift / Header

The Stripchart is a good way to find out if you are lifted or headed compared to an average TWD but it would be really useful to be able to get that information in a number box so you can send that info to your on deck displays as a user channel. Preferably in a simple easy to read format such as positive number for lifted, or a negative number for headed, like " -7 ".

I understand this is not super simple to do since you also need to set the average TWD in minutes somewhere, but I believe it would be really useful, especially now when shorthanded sailing is becoming very popular and you donĀ“t have a dedicated navigator and/or tactician to keep track of the wind oscillations. Maybe set a fixed avg TWD to 15min in a first release and later on make it user configurable.

TackTick has this feature built in but you cannot calibrate TWD on a TackTick system so the feature does not work in reality. B&G H5000 has got this feature on their H5000 Graphical Displays with latest software update but with a fixed avg TWD time (think its 30min), and everyone is not using B&G...

2/18/2021 12:18 pm  #2

Re: Lift / Header

Will add to the work-list ...

5/05/2021 10:07 pm  #3

Hi, my solution to this is to just send an average (damped) TWD to a display. Then it is trivial to compare this number to your current TWD. You can choose the damping time depending on the conditions. 10-15 min is common for w/l racing.

Cheers,
Will.

5/06/2021 1:10 pm  #4

I always track 15 & 5 min damped TWD (and TWS) using number boxes, unfortunately I don't see real value in comparing a damped TWD to live as this could be misleading. The 5 and 15min gives a good picture of the trend, I guess other combinations would work like 10 & 5, or maybe even 5 and 1.

Unfortunately you can only send one damped TWD value out an instrument channel - the system damping value, so not much use on a display.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

Board footera