Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/01/2020 2:05 am  #1

Display bugs

In the last few months, I have been experiencing a few display issues in Exp:

1.  After starting, Exp no longer reverts to the prior display, and I must manually restore and move around the windows and number boxes I want to use.  I've tried saving the display settings using the States dropdown menu without effect.  Saving settings generally before or when exiting Exp also does not work.  I've read forum postings about permission settings on files in States folder.  I found that permission settings on the custom State files were read only, but changing the permissions did not help, and deleting the custom files all together and starting over also did not work.  My Exp is up to date, but this problem has persisted over several updates (but only started in 2020).

2.  After restarting Exp, the display does not show the route that was active when Exp was shut down, but goes back to an earlier active route.  Exp is saving changes to marks, however.  For example, I created a new route today and did some clean-up to other marks and folders, before downloading weather gribs and running routings with the new route.  On restarting Exp, the display showed the active route for last weekend's race, but the new routing I created and all of the changes I had made to the marks folder had been saved, and the weather gribs and routings I had run with the new route were still saved.

3.  The last item is not new, but often when moving around an ENC, Exp occasionally gets lost.  When I zoom out to find out where the cursor is, the cursor is usually somewhere off the coast of Africa.  I'm in Australia using AUS ENCs principally.  Any idea why this happens, and is there any easy way to get back to where you were (other than by zooming out and zooming back in)?

Many thanks for any help.

12/01/2020 2:14 am  #2

Re: Display bugs

Sounds like you are not saving -- In order for the routing information and such to be preserved across a crash or simply a restart you need to save.

I find any time I change a polar config or run new routes or anything it is best to explicitly hit the save button.

12/01/2020 6:38 am  #3

1. Might be worth a system restore > Delete display states, and/or registry settings, and build your display states again.

2. Seems odd - maybe the restore will help this

3. I have had similar behavior with ENC's, I try to avoid them.

I diligently use CTRL+SHIFT+S whenever I make any changes.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

12/01/2020 9:05 am  #4

I suspect you don't have write access to the entire Expedition data folder, but normally Exp would warn if it can't write to it. It could happen if you change user accounts for example.

This would affect many things, including updating the marks and chart databases, display states, race tracking, weather downloads etc.

It might be worth rebuilding your chart database when you have fixed the data folder issue.

12/03/2020 2:11 pm  #5

Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions.

Failing to save was definitely not the problem.  I religiously save now, and these errors were occurring during controlled testing at home. 

The cause is still unclear, but appears to have corrupted Exp files somehow, which prevented system restore options from working properly.  Thanks to generous offline help from Nick and our Australian reseller Simon Weston, we are now operating again. 

Nick -- I can now save states, and Exp returns to latest state after rebooting.  But the active route is still not being retained, and Exp reverts to a different active route after restarting.  Where is the active route data stored?  I wonder if there is another file setting somewhere that is wrong.

12/03/2020 2:24 pm  #6

Thanks.

Yes, it was unusual. Expedition had lost write access to the data folder and it wouldn't let me change the folder permissions over Teamviewer. I suspect user privileges or accounts have changed somehow.

So we backed it up to a zip archive, made a new data folder and copied the data. I left the logs and grib data as they were very large, so you might want to check it is still able to write to the log folder.

It sounds as if you aren't allowed to write to the marks folder.

Normally the marks and routes are saved to marks.dat on the data folder, but you can change this on the Files settings page. I didn't think to check what this was.

12/09/2020 12:59 pm  #7

Nick - Because of ongoing problems, we switched to using Exp on backup computer this week. When I copied the marks.dat file to new computer, the problem of Exp starting at a different active route occurred again.  I tried saving and exiting Exp with a couple of different active routes and found it was only the route for last week's race that Exp was not saving.  I then remembered I created that route using the Copy function in the marks management window, and realized that Exp on restarting was showing the original route I copied and edited to make last week's route.  So I wonder if some pointer to the original route is not being changed when the Copy route function is used?

12/09/2020 1:20 pm  #8

Yes, the active mark can be different between different computers.

If you copy the marks file to another computer, you will need to select the route you wish to be active.

12/16/2020 7:50 pm  #9

Nick - I've done further testing, and I think there is a bug in the Copy function in the Marks management window.  I'm using a new installation of Exp,  I used the Copy function to copy an existing route, rename it and modify it, and set the new route as the active route.  I then saved Settings manually, and also when exiting Exp.  When Exp restarts, Exp does not show the new route as the active route. Instead, Exp shows the route that I had copied as the active route.  If I create the same modified route manually as a new route (without using the Copy function) and save it as the active route, then Exp does show the modified route as the active route when Exp restarts.  It seems like some ID tag for the route is not being updated when a new route is created using the Copy function?

I think the Copy function is very useful (saves a lot of time), so hopefully this is an easy fix.

12/16/2020 8:05 pm  #10

Thanks, I see now.

Will fix for the next update.

Board footera