Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/30/2020 6:34 am  #1

Installing NGT-1

My understanding is that the NGT-1 can be put anywhere on the N2K backbone.., just put a T wherever on the backbone is a convenient location and connect the NGT-1.

Is that correct?

7/30/2020 6:45 pm  #2

Re: Installing NGT-1

Yes - its no different than any other connection to the bus

8/21/2020 3:53 am  #3

Is anyone using the NGW-1 instead?

apparently it ha a NMEA 0183 - N2K gateway in it so that communication with the laptop in 0183

3/25/2021 3:37 am  #4

I’m installing an onboard PC that I intend to use with Expedition. I want instrument data and AIS data to feed into PC via USB (to keep PC WiFi free to connect to phone ‘hotspot’). Which input feed works better for Expedition, NMEA0183 from an Actisense NGW-1 or NMEA200 via Actisense NGT-1?

I have a broad understanding of the differences between NMEA0183 and NMEA2000, e.g. that NMEA0183 is unidirectional ... but would like to understand when would I use / what benefit from being able to send NMEA2000 sentences from PC to the instruments, plotter, etc.?

Also, are there any other subtle but important differences regarding baud rate, parameters that NGT-1 can send to PC from NMEA2000 that NGW-1 can’t send from NMEA0183 (or vice versa), etc.

Simplistically, is it an easy choice on which one is best for Expedition or what pros and cons need to be weighed?

3/25/2021 11:14 am  #5

Almost always NMEA 2000 is better. It is faster, has more data etc. In addition, you can send data to Garmin GNX displays.
NMEA 0183 may be better if you have an older system that only uses, such as Tacktick or a USB output from an AIS receiver.

Board footera