Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/03/2020 4:40 pm  #1

Nexus Anemometer replacement options

I'm looking to replace an aging Nexus Anemometer that is connected via RS-485 to a Nexus FDX Server., Various other instruments are connected with an RS-485 I/F to the FDX (GPS, boat speed paddle wheel, digital compass, etc.). The FDX Server feeds the data from all sensors via a single NMEA0183 I/F to my Expedition software.

Can anyone recommend a good upgrade solution or a source for lightly used/rebuild Nexus Anemometers?

7/03/2020 6:04 pm  #2

Re: Nexus Anemometer replacement options

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/marine/instruments-sensors/cOnTheWater-cInstrumentsSensors-p1.html

The Garmin GND10 is intended to assist migration from the legacy nexus to NMEA 2000.

7/03/2020 6:56 pm  #3

We bought a new gWind sensor and it could be connected directly to the NX2 server, only that the network port (pins 5,6,7 and 8) instead of the wind port.

7/04/2020 7:32 am  #4

Thanks Nick and Josef for you quick response. Does anyone have racing experience using Ultrasonic wind sensors (Maretron or Airmar). I like the idea of having no moving parts, but don't know about their reliability / accuracy.

8/22/2020 5:14 am  #5

After 6 warranty replacements of a Garmin GWind Race transducer I lost the will to live, gave up and bought a CV7 ultrasonic wind transducer from LJCapteurs.  I bought the OEM version and re-used the carbon stick from the GWind, so was able to keep the Garmin mast cable.  The guys at LJC were super helpful and nice and so far the system works well.

Board footera