Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/08/2020 2:43 am  #1

get gps data from iphone over UDP

Hi
I have a jumpy GPS I am trying to troubleshoot/improve. I have az ipad fixed onto the helm for VNC into exp laptop. I have found a few software that can stream the GPS and accelerometers from the iphone to TCP/UDP. Can I store this to a custom variable in Exp log to compare somehow? that would give me two gps coordinates to compare..also maybe for heel (altough that needs calibration I presume)

6/08/2020 2:59 am  #2

Re: get gps data from iphone over UDP

If it is sent as NMEA 0183 data, you could connect it to a network port in Exp and map it to (eg) boat 1

6/14/2020 1:56 pm  #3

Thanks Nick! I have found an app called GPS2IP which seems to do just this, and it seems to work perfect. Now I have to figure out a way to overwrite the bad gps from Boat0 with the goodGPS from boat1.

I am getting my bad GPS data from a Seatalk-to-NMEA converter, and it also contains wind and STW, so I need the rest. I suppose I can deselect 'use GPS' for the ST network, and call the iphone Boat0 too, then it will be populated, but its a bit risky, if the iphone runs out of juice.

Can I set up a second network interface for the _same_ ST-NMEA interface with the same port, and have the first one as Boat0 with GPS disabled, and the second one as Boat1 with GPS? plus the iphone as Boat0 GPS. That way I have a backup stream of my data in the log if the iphone dies...

6/14/2020 1:57 pm  #4

Also, the GPS2IP sends a sentence called PASHR. It contains pitch and roll from the iphone. Can that be read into Exp? I only found XDR heel in NMEA0183. Thanks!

6/14/2020 3:34 pm  #5

It is a custom sentence, but should be easy to add.

Board footera