Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/07/2020 6:59 am  #1

Need Help Getting a Position Fix with either Zeus 3 or GPS

Hi
I am new to Expedition and so far unable to get a position fix for the software. I have B&G Zeus 3 chartplotter on board, and a usb BU-353s4 GPS (I was told these can be problematic.)
I did order a Garmin GLO2 Bluetooth gps and it will be here tomorrow...
We are leaving port soon, and does anyone have, or are there any, written out instructions on how to get this software a position fix with what I have currently? 
I really would like at least to have it running as a basic chartplotter while I learn more about it during the trip from Annapolis to Maine... any help would be most appreciated, thanks, Tom

6/07/2020 9:44 am  #2

Re: Need Help Getting a Position Fix with either Zeus 3 or GPS

Do you have a working connection to your B&G system? Are you getting any data? Have you looked at the raw input of your network connection?

6/07/2020 10:34 am  #3

Hi
Unfortunately I have not been able to get a working connection with the B&G.
Not sure where to start.... 

6/07/2020 10:37 am  #4

Do you have Wifi enabled ony your B&G system or do you have your computer connected to the NMEA backbone?

6/07/2020 10:43 am  #5

I have wifi enabled. The expedition is on my windows 10 laptop; had no trouble connecting the laptop to the B&G wifi....

6/07/2020 11:39 am  #6

Do you have a full B&G system or just the Zues3 chart plotter?
I think the chart plotter just allows you to use GoFree over the wireless - I don't think you can use the Zues by itself as a gateway to insturment data. Do you have a full HXXX system?

It looks like the Zues can be configured to be a NMEA gateway - but I've never done that. I've allways been lucky enough that all boats I've nav-ed have HXXX cpu units to connect to.

Since the Zuess can can act as a NMEA 0183 gateway and you should be able to configure a network connection in expedition to talk to the NMEA0183 gateway after you configure the Zues to be a NMEA gateway.

6/07/2020 2:37 pm  #7

I've never connected directly to a Zeus, but have tested with a GoFree wireless.

Do you see data in the raw data window for the network connection in Exp?

If it can send NMEA 083, that is probably the best option.

Else, it may be possible to use the H5000 websocket connection option to the Zeus (the H5 Websocket is mostly just a variant of GoFree).

6/07/2020 3:05 pm  #8

The BU-353S4 are quite good.

It should just appear as a serial port to Exp. You just need to select NMEA 0183 as the instrument type for it. The default 4800,8,N,1 settings are correct.

Board footera