Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/08/2020 8:34 am  #1

Convergent/Divergent Shoreline Masks/Note Areas

It would be very useful to be able to visualize convergent and divergent shores via some kind of overlay or using notes. I know you can just look at the grib and see if the wind barbs are converging or diverging, and the routing algorithm obviously takes that into account, but many models aren't high enough resolution for that, especially when sailing outside the US. I've been taking the closest wind barb and using that to guestimate angle of attack to shore and then determine if it's converging or diverging but I'd love to automate this. Adding lidar data and other terrain effect simulation would be icing on the cake. 

github.com/jweisbaum

2/08/2020 12:10 pm  #2

Re: Convergent/Divergent Shoreline Masks/Note Areas

It might be worth trying the wind streamlines. They show a lot of flow behaviour that isn't obvious with the barbs.

2/08/2020 12:48 pm  #3

Ok I'll do that! Also some feedback for the DLL, which is awesome that you even have one at all by the way. But as far as I can tell each channel has to be requested one at a time. I think the API could be improved by being able to pass an array of channels in and getting an array of channel values back, and then also possibly supporting a subscription model where callbacks get called after change events happen like an event listener. Thanks. 

github.com/jweisbaum

2/08/2020 5:22 pm  #4

That is a very good idea, I am surprised no one has asked for it before.

Board footera