Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2020 9:45 pm  #1

Another XDR via BMP280 issue

Hi

I've been trying to get Expedition to accept my XDR nmea sentences generated via a BMP280 and python.
The nmea sentence I send is as follows, though I've tried many versions.

$WIXDR,P,1.00364,B,Baro*52

I've read through the XDR related questions in the forum but have not managed to get it to work.
I've tried NKE and nmea0183 as the 'interpreters'.

This is a tcp client connection to a python based server. pPynmea2 does the checksum calculation.

I have noticed in the raw-data output that expedition does not write each iteration to a newline.
Here is what a few seconds of exported data looks like.

$WIXDR,P,1.0034,B,Baro*64$WIXDR,P,1.0034,B,Baro*64$WIXDR,P,1.00333,B,Baro*50

I've tried attaching "\n" and "\r\n" to the string before its encoded for transport but it did not work.
opencpn, navionics and the odd nmea reader for android/iphone have had no issue receiving nmea strings from the python server. All writing to a newline (if this makes any difference).

This expedition laptop is the only device I've touched running windows, so there may be something in that

I'm a little stumped.

1/20/2020 10:10 pm  #2

Re: Another XDR via BMP280 issue

Yes, you need the \r\n - it is part of the NMEA specification.

I tested the sentence above and Exp receives it ok.

In the Expedition instrument settings, have you told it to receive XDR sentences? Go to the connection page where you selected NMEA 0183 as the instrument type, click the Settings button etc ...

1/21/2020 6:08 pm  #3

Re: Another XDR via BMP280 issue

Hi Nick
Turns out I was stripping newlines in the code I'd written a month back. All my frustration was my own doing.
Its now working perfectly.
I don't understand why the other apps were not exhibiting the same behaviour, my guess is something to do with the default character encoding at the OS level (windows vs *nix).

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for your quick response.

Board footera