Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2020 4:00 pm  #1

Optimal routing - limiting sail choices

Wanting to limit sail choices in Optimal to exclude soft sails - for a delivery.
Have unchecked the sails in sail list, however when run optimal is still routing based on using them.
Do I have to create new polars and sail list for delivery and load into Expedition to get this outcome?  Or have I missed something?

1/12/2020 4:50 pm  #2

Re: Optimal routing - limiting sail choices

The sails are independent of the polar.

1/13/2020 8:55 am  #3

routing will use whatever sails are in the sail chart that is loaded - it does not omit sails because they are not checked in that sail selection list.

if you think about it - how would it know what sail to use in a spot on the sail chart left blank because you unchecked one?

so, if you want to restrict the sails in the routing, you must make a new sailchart, without the sails you do not want to use - a delivery sail chart.

Last edited by us7070 (1/13/2020 8:56 am)

1/13/2020 9:46 am  #4

And you need a new polar with speeds developed with out the soft sails.  Then when you go to 'Settings' and 'Opt Advanced' and set the parameter for when you choose to motor the 'Results' will all work out.  Developing a polar for only a working jib is not too complex, so will work out fairly well with an educated guess.
Cheers,
Ernie

1/13/2020 1:35 pm  #5

I loaded a polar for a similar size in a but more cruising (symmetrical kite) spec yacht that seems to be what I would expect target wise sailing both up and downwind.  The sail choice is purely a guide as such, so haven't tried re-writing a sail list  and wont affect the routing it seems,  Have set the motoring threshold.  Thanks for tips ;)

Re sail list- why have the ability to check, uncheck and add sails there?  Would you not need to load a new sail chart for every configuration of sails on board or if new sails are acquired for example?

1/13/2020 2:00 pm  #6

Matt,
It determines what sails you can choose from when you right click on the Sail Chart. It guides you to what sails you have for the day, say, when you modify a Sail Chart. It is also where you can change the colour used for each sail.
Ernie

1/13/2020 2:03 pm  #7

it's not unusual to do a race without every sail on the sail chart

in general, i do not have a sail chart ready for every possible combination of sails that might be on the boat

however, it's not hard to edit an existing sailchart to remove a sail or two, and make a guess as to the crossovers, which can then be updated based on experience.

when you select sails with the check list, they become available when you set an "event"  - so it's easy to record, in the event log, when you did a sail change and keep a record of what sails were up when during a race.

Board footera