Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/25/2019 6:30 am  #1

Replacing Nexus Nav with B&G on J97

Does anybody know how to load a race route including
fixed and movable marks from Expedition to a B and G
system inc  Triton2 instruments and Zeus3 plotter.
I am getting rid of all (almost) of my Nexus instruments and 
replacing with B and G including Triton2 displays and a WS 320 wind pack. 
I would prefer to find a way to replace the excellent Nexus nx2  navigator
 with something that will
 hold a complete route full of waypoints 
exported from Exp?
thanks Bob

9/25/2019 11:54 am  #2

Re: Replacing Nexus Nav with B&G on J97

How are you connecting to your Triton system? A NMEA2000 gateway like the NGT-1?

I presume you wish to send Mark range and bearing? Or a whole route? 

If the former then you can select the appropriate PGN to send data.

If the latter then I would expect you do not want to send an entire optimal route with a load of waypoints, but a subset of. Create this route in Marks Manager then export it as a *.gpx file then you can transfer to an SD card for insert and upload to your Zeus.

Last edited by Campbell_Field (9/25/2019 11:56 am)

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

9/25/2019 11:21 pm  #3

Good morning Campbell and thanks for the quick response. No, the backbone of the system would become NMEA2K connecting DST800, WS320, ZG100 compass and Gps, ZEUS3, TRITON2s, Garmin 120’s on mast.Exp can connect via my GND10 gateway.(i do have a spare NGT1 if needed)

Ideally I would like to send a whole  round the cans route from Exp to B&G Zeus3 as i can today with the Nx2 navigator. But I dont see how?

I do not have an H5000 hydra or hercules CPU which I can see might let me do this.

I do realise that i can load routes and marks to the Zeus3 via a microSD card but this is not practical on deck 5 mins before a race start and does not really work for movable marks!

Thanks Bob

Ps: oops! Just opened a TRITON2 box. Manual says cannot handle “TWA/TWD WITHOUT AN H5000”. Maybe the ZEUS3 can, or I will be looking for a preowned H5000.

Last edited by Badgerb (9/25/2019 11:46 pm)

9/25/2019 11:54 pm  #4

Hi,

IIRC Triton does give TWD/TWS (unsure about TWA but logic would dictate that it shoudl be there), you just cannot calibrate them so teh numbers are pretty inaccurate, but admittedly I'm not too familiar with the inner workings of that system. The manual and the Quick Guide I have looked at refers to TWD/TWS.

You could calulate and calibrate TWD/A/S in Expedition though and send to your Garmin displays.

You cannot currently export a whole route via H5000 to a Zeus - you would have to do the export/import of *.gpx via SD card again.

Last edited by Campbell_Field (9/25/2019 11:56 pm)

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

9/26/2019 1:21 am  #5

Ws320: just spoke with b&g uk support in Eastleigh. They say that zeus3 can be set to do the TWS/TWS calc using Speed, Heading  etc on N2k bus and then push results back onto n2k to any connected instruments inc Triton2.  Alternatively you can set triton2  to do it but then results will be local just to that instrument . I expect you’re right about the dubious accuracy without extra calibration! The Triton2 manual they just sent me is obviously wrong!

Re race routes:  it seems that the combination of EXP with the nexus NX2  navigator represents a high water mark in functionality that no one else is going to reach. I know that Nexus released the API for their software to Nick enabling him to do this And I doubt it’s possible via Nmea 2000 protocols.
Obviously if B&G can write a bit of code to import way points and routes from an SD card, they could do the same to import them from a PC file to an MFD. But I guess it’s unlikely to be near the top of their priority list! Perhaps we should count ourselves lucky as racers that they created the bulk import option .

I think I’m going to have to retain my NX2 navigator and server for as long as possible! Thanks Bob

Last edited by Badgerb (9/26/2019 1:24 am)

9/26/2019 2:09 am  #6

Triton² will caluclate True Wind internally based on the incoming Boat Speed, Heading and Apparent Wind using the same logic of maths as the MFDs use to calculate True Wind. The resultant True is then displayed locally on the displays. The Zeus MFD will also calculate True Wind using the same maths and show its internal calculated True Wind on the MFD. As they use the same maths, settings and sources, the numbers will all be the same even though the number isn't transmitted on the network. 

H5000 has advanced calibration which is then used to calculate wind and then transmit this out onto the Network for the B&G Displays and MFDs to show. 

If you have the new WS310 / 320 wind sensor, then if you have Heel Angle on your N2K network, then you can enable Heel Correction on the Wind Angle / Speed coming from the wind sensor which will improve the resultant True Wind in the Triton² and Zeus / Vulcan MFDs.

@ Bob, as you have Garmin Mast Displays, there will be no source for True Wind on the N2K network, so you will have to let the Garmin displays calculate Wind themselves and I don't know how accutate this is or whether you you can apply calibration to the boat speed as the raw data on the network is uncalibrated. We apply the boat speed calibration internally in each display.

Expedition can connect wireless to the Zeus³ MFD and read all the data directly from it (i.e. so you have the same numbers as your displays in Expedition) and I will need to explore this, but you may be able to send your active mark directly to the MFD through this connection.

Hope this helps and clears a few things up, I'm sure there has just been some mis-understanding from the UK Service Team

9/26/2019 2:50 am  #7

Thanks Mike!
If you  get anywhere with your exploration please let me know.
I suppose I might be able to read TWD and TWS from Zeus3 into Exp and then send to GNX120!
Bob

9/26/2019 6:20 am  #8

Mike

I have re-read the Triton2 operator manual. I can now see that what the author should have said was:

" True Wind Angle

>> note the TWA calibration option is only available if an H5000 is connected to the system."

According to verbal discussions with B&G Support I expect the "built in TW calibration" on the WS310/WS320 to 
still self calibrate and correct locally for the B&G Triton2 and Zeus3 displays without an H5000 CPU.. When and if it works, I will add a note to these pages and to SailAnarchy, Hopefully B&G would then sometime update the documentation.

thanks BobB

Last edited by Badgerb (9/29/2019 11:06 pm)

10/01/2019 1:48 am  #9

Hi Bob,

Please can you let me know which page you are referring to in the Triton² Manual and I will check it out to see what is written.

With regards to the calibration, the WS310/320 sensors have built in mulit-point calibration which is carried out at the factory (all based on over 250,000 hours of testing) so that the resultant wind angle and speed is as good as it can be.

Once connected to a Triton System or Zeus / Vulcan MFD, then the raw wind data is read by the displays and internally they will calculate True Wind Angle, Speed and Direction using the Boat Speed, Wind and Heading from the set sources.

If Heel Angle is available on the system, then the WS310 / 320 Interface can take the raw wind data and apply Heel Correction to the Wind, so that the raw wind data sent over N2K is Heel Corrected.

With all of this going on internally, the only option for calibration you have for Wind is the MHU Alignment which is there to align the wind sensor to the bow of the boat as all True Wind is relative to the boat. This aligment allows the sensor to be installed in an easy way rather than having to laser align the sensor down the centreline.

Hopefully this clears everything up with regards to calibration and how the Triton and MFDs work for True Wind and what the service team were trying to get across to you.

Regards,
Mike

10/01/2019 2:43 pm  #10

Thanks Mike

Great, I think that is a clear and succinct answer.

The pages relevant are 64 and 65 in the Triton2 op manual.
Perhaps though the bigger problem is the missing pages where you don't seem to have a functional
specification?

cheers Bob

Board footera