Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/20/2019 7:15 am  #1

AWA reading to quickly

I am running Expedition with a H5000 system.

When sailing the AWA in Expedition jumps around rapidly. The AWA from the H5000 is smooth.
I went into PGN's and selected send damp, that did not change anything. 

I have Expedition connected via web socket and NGT-1 adapter 

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thank you 

6/20/2019 2:22 pm  #2

Re: AWA reading to quickly

Make sure you have the latest H5000 firmware installed. I know they had issues with damping.

If you are getting wind data from the Websocket, you definitely don't want to also get it from the NGT-1.

You can also damp data in Exp.

6/20/2019 2:40 pm  #3

This is a brand new instal with latest firmware installed 2 months ago. Reading from the H5000 produce "smooth" AWA reading. I would like expedition to closely match the readings directly from the H5000 

I disconnected NGT-1 connection and AWA and AWS still jump around when compared to the B&G's direct. 

I have selected not to receive AWA from PGN with no change in reading.

It seems Expedition is not "correcting/processing" the AWA. Is there a setting to receive information directly from the wand? The system started doing this mid race and had never had a problem receiving or sending and AWA info.

6/20/2019 2:59 pm  #4

Exp will be displaying exactly what the H5000 is sending.

You should probably still check you have the latest firmware. It sounds as if you have the problem B&G had in their firmware.

You can damp awa and aws in Exp if the instrument values are too jumpy.

6/21/2019 5:47 am  #5

I attempted to dampen AWA via the NGT-1 adapter setting under the PGN tab. That did not change anything.

I believe the H5000 is giving me good numbers because they are smooth when accessed directly from the H5000.

I keep a number box open with AWA and a web browser to see the H5000. The numbers always read differently, with the AWA in my number box jumping and the H5000 being smooth.

I will check that I have the latest firmware. The latest H5000 update I can find is Sept 2018. 

6/26/2019 1:03 pm  #6

I updated the H5000 firmware to 2.0.45.0.29 and updated Expedition to the latest.

No change. When I pull info from the H5000 to a display the AWA reads properly. Viewed in Expedition the number reads a different value and changes rapidly.

I dampened the out put, no change other than the AWA in my number box increased decimal places (AWA=14.345678)

I turned off RX with no change.

Any other suggestions?

6/26/2019 2:01 pm  #7

Are you still getting awa from the NGT-1? You definitely don't want to do that when you have a Websocket connection.

Also, make sure you haven't told Exp to calibrate awa.

Exp is just showing the data it is receiving.

6/26/2019 6:33 pm  #8

I have disconnected the NGT-1 with no change. However, I need for it to remain connected to utilize Garmin displays. 

I am not telling Exp to calibrate AWA, I only see an option to calculate TWA, TWS, TWD

6/26/2019 8:50 pm  #9

The data you are seeing in Expedition is what it is receiving unless you have Expedition calibrating awa, in which case it will be modified.

6/27/2019 3:45 am  #10

If it is the same data then why does it read drastically different numbers? This is also happening with boat speed now, it will read the speed for a few seconds, then display 0.00, then after 20 seconds or so it will show the boat speed, then back to 0.00. The value never directly matches what the H5000 displays via WebSocket or a remote display. 

Boat speed read via the WebSocket of the H5000 will display consistently and different values than Exp displays. Same as AWA and AWS.

It does seem that Exp is receiving and displaying AWA, AWS and boatspeed directly from the N2K/NGT-1 in a “pre processed” form. However I pull the NGT-1 out of the computer and nothing changes.

I went into instruments setting to ensure I am not calculating AWA, I did not see an option to do so, am I looking in the correct location?

Thanks for your continued help on this.

Board footera