Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/19/2019 7:55 am  #1

Route Optimize w/o Wind

Just learning Expedition and was trying to look at a delivery route without wind influence. Attempting to understand current affects on route with different departure times but keep getting a No Wind at Start error. Is there a way to defeat this or fake it out at least?

4/19/2019 10:03 am  #2

Re: Route Optimize w/o Wind

US,
You will have to have wind on the area BUT
go in to Settings/Opt Advanced Set 'Motoring Speed' to your assumed sailing speed
Then set 'Minimum Sailing Speed' to something higher than your highest Polar speed
I think that will accomplish what you want.

Ernie

4/19/2019 10:29 am  #3

More:
It gets kind of quirky if the grib wind wants to produce a polar speed greater than your assumed speed

You can overcome that by creating a dummy polarchart with real slow Bsp, say 4 kts for ALL winds
That way you'll always get a motoring result (your assumed speed) and you'll get a varied result doing a Multiple Optimization based on current (drift)
PM me if you want the polar for SloboatXX

4/21/2019 3:46 am  #4

Thanks for the suggestion, it worked with some caveats. Still need to use a Grib file that is time stamped so that drives the Expedition loaded tides. Went through the tide charts and found a similar time frame that I have a Grib for. Maybe not perfect, but enough to see current influences on the deliveries.

4/21/2019 5:28 pm  #5

There is also the User Wind option on the Optimal routing ribbon panel.

4/22/2019 3:52 am  #6

Nick,
It would be handy if there were a "user wind" tick box in the Optimal/Multimal window, for this kind of planning.
Ernie

4/22/2019 11:31 am  #7

The user wind option does that.

Board footera