Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/07/2019 11:37 pm  #1

Re-routing through point on drawn isochrone - tactical re-routing

Hi Nick,
Can you maybe consider to make a new tool allowing a new re-route through a specific point of a isochrone of a optimised route?
It would be useful for tactical reasons (or safety).
Adrena calls it pivot. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRgHNTNAHeM
Basically it could allow to make a new optimised route by altering one you already have, as if it would include a go-to point, defined by clicking on a drawn isochrone, allowing you to keep a better tactical position related to other competitors (or to go farther away from dangers - depth or weather).
Thanks!

4/08/2019 2:10 am  #2

Re: Re-routing through point on drawn isochrone - tactical re-routing

Victor,
You can already do that in Expedition.  You're simply adding waypoints to a route based on your particular knowledge about an area.  You can do it to a route of your own or a saved optimized route quite simply,  If you want to use isochrones to help you decide, just show the isochrones by adjusting the settings.  We do this all the time in the Bermuda races when we have a certain point where we want to hit the Gulf Stream; called point alpha.
     IMHO it's much easier and intuitive in Expedition, you can call it a 'pivot' if you like but you're really just adding another mark to the course.
Cheers,
Ernie

4/08/2019 2:28 am  #3

Thank you for the tip.
We have done it this way also, but it would be a nice to have tool directly implemented
(and without altering the marks in the race - to be able to compute what-ifs)

4/08/2019 2:54 am  #4

It's funny you say that because that's exactly how I use, what I call 'point Alpha'.  I have it set as  'always darw' on the chart and plug it in or out of a route or optimized route at will.  It's really easy in Expedition using 'right click' to turn it on or off for 'what if' scenarios. Using the 'right click' you can also 'lock' or 'unlock' the mark and nudge it to a slightly different position and try that.  Very easy!
     I like having the flexibility of being able to 'try' things without having to use a set routine in some drop down box.
       Try it...you'll like it!

4/08/2019 2:56 am  #5

Now here's a cool trick!
Will give it a try next time, thank you!

4/08/2019 12:01 pm  #6

You can also right-click and select the Route via Cursor option.

Board footera