Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/30/2015 12:25 pm  #11

Re: Recommended Reading

GRaines
Certainly agree w the dilemma about Expedition being complicated so it stays the Navvy's black art ...that is a problem .... I'm happy for people to look, but no touching i.e. changing variables.  Too hard to figure out the audit trail if it gord wrong!

9/30/2015 4:26 pm  #12

DuncanR wrote:

GRaines
Certainly agree w the dilemma about Expedition being complicated so it stays the Navvy's black art ...that is a problem .... I'm happy for people to look, but no touching i.e. changing variables.  Too hard to figure out the audit trail if it gord wrong!

I am a strong believer in multiple people knowing any system on the boat, Expedition included. With that being said, the middle of an offshore race isn't the time to start "on the job" training. Learning the systems should be a process that happens long before the race, during practice days, debriefs, etc.

There is also another critical component. Whoever is sitting down at the system needs to be a part of the ongoing conversation regarding decision making. Knowing what is on the screen, and why, is a pretty important detail.

That actually would be anice feature. The ability to capture the state of a screen, and revert back to it, after someone had "gone wandering". I really dislike it when someone messes with my dividers....

10/01/2015 3:51 am  #13

One has many aspirations and resource limitations with amateur crews which mitigate against meaningful sharing.  We briefly experimented w 2 navvys so one was always awake, this in a crew of 13.  It didn't work, for a whole set of asymmetric skills reasons - in a crew of 13 you definitely don't have 2 FT navvys, so the other-order skillset like pit or mast becomes important, even critical, and takes over from the navvy skillset as primary focus.
Additionally, navigation is now so extraordinarily complex (instruments, boat electronics, PC maintenance, calibrations, weather models, performance diagnosis etc) that it becomes a calling to stay on top of it.

10/01/2015 9:02 am  #14

DuncanR wrote:

One has many aspirations and resource limitations with amateur crews which mitigate against meaningful sharing.  We briefly experimented w 2 navvys so one was always awake, this in a crew of 13.  It didn't work, for a whole set of asymmetric skills reasons - in a crew of 13 you definitely don't have 2 FT navvys, so the other-order skillset like pit or mast becomes important, even critical, and takes over from the navvy skillset as primary focus.
Additionally, navigation is now so extraordinarily complex (instruments, boat electronics, PC maintenance, calibrations, weather models, performance diagnosis etc) that it becomes a calling to stay on top of it.

That reflects our experience as well. We have one FT navigator, who is separate from the watch system, but is available to all shifts. Crossovers are performed with watch captains on each shift change, as well as maintaining a ready board with critical details always available at a glance. 

10/03/2015 7:13 am  #15

willoxley wrote:

Thanks for the kind words about the book. When I find some spare time I intend writing a second edition to reflect updates to Expedtion.
I'd welcome other ideas.

I would suggest a French edition of the book.

10/08/2015 4:15 pm  #16

There is some interest in a French edition but Adrena has a much bigger percentage of the market there so perhaps examples would be with both Adrena and Expedition. I have the french translators ready.. just need some time and focus!

10/08/2015 6:50 pm  #17

I have been fooling around on Expedition for a couple of years--its a fun hobby--but I totally agree that there has to be something between what's taught in the North Sail school  and the Help system.   Will's book is a huge help, but i find that there are so many simple things that make the "gentle introduction" challenging.  
Before I make any suggestions I have to praise Nick for his amazing support after the sale--but he cant answer everything for everyone when he sells as many copies as he should.

Here is a short list.

--I agree with the other folks there is a desperate need for a well written "gentle introduction".
--A chapter on hardware would be useful (how do I drive a 19v laptop off 12 volts) (if I buy a desktop replacement what are my choices for a monitor) (B&G vs Raymarine vs ?? ) (GPS units --how many is too many), (do you really need an inverter to feed power to the computer) 
---Boxes--geez there are soooooo many choices.  How about suggesting a handful of starter sets.
---NMEA --what do i do if the transducer data are not showing up in the right boxes, or the boxes you expect them in. 

Some YouTube videos illustrating common issues would be really helpful

Peter

willoxley wrote:

Thanks for the kind words about the book. When I find some spare time I intend writing a second edition to reflect updates to Expedtion.
Thoughts on new chapters include:
A gentle introduction to Expedition.
A bit more on paper vs electronic charts after recent incidents
A bit more on weather and accessing gribs
A chapter on Ensemble routing
Perhaps some specific chapters about the big races... Bermuda, Transpac, Fastnet, transatlantic,
More on Sailing Performance software.

I'd welcome other ideas. Perhaps we should start a thread on this if sufficient interest.

10/08/2015 7:35 pm  #18

Car adaptors are ideal boat power supplies for laptops

10/27/2015 10:39 am  #19

My suggestion would be a bit on installation, selection of charts (raster/enc etc) and ensemble routing. The material that Peter Isler has is good but too distributed and focus on the americas. The other idea would be the use of qlik, or similar for race analysis. Have some 101 notes that I'm happy to contribute.

10/27/2015 5:00 pm  #20

Just writing an ensemble article now. It will initially be published in Australian Sailing before Christmas. http://www.greatmagazines.com.au/offers.php?PubCode=ASL This mag is also available as an e-magazine for those who just want a single issue. 

Board footera