Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/30/2018 7:44 pm  #1

YB Tracking Gain

In YB Tracking tables, there are various columns, mostly self-explanatory.  However, one column is Gain, obviously a comparison of change from a previous point.  But what point:
a) The relative positions from the last YB download that you made on the reference boat i.e. calculated by Expedition?
b) The relative positions from the previous YB download, even if you did not download in on the ref boat i.e. calculated by YB, not by Expedition?
c)  Something else?

12/03/2018 12:36 pm  #2

Re: YB Tracking Gain

I believe it is the difference in Dtf between consecutive position reports.

12/03/2018 1:33 pm  #3

Hi Duncan,
If you are referring to Expedition Race tracking based on YB position reports it is my understanding that "Gain" (which can have a negative value to indicate a "Loss") indicates the delta in DMG since the last Race tracking that was compiled by Expedition. I am not sure that if boat handicaps are entered that "Gain" will not indicate the delta in CorrDMG instead of DMG.
To expand a bit; YB does not provide any calculated info along those lines. YB just provides a boat identifier, position, and time in a text file. Expedition massages all of that to develop the information in the Race tracking module.
Hope this helps.  

Last edited by Joe Goulet (12/03/2018 1:45 pm)

12/03/2018 1:56 pm  #4

Yes, Joe is correct.

Gain is the difference in DMG to the reference boat DMG. Without checking, I think it isn't the corrected DMG.

The only association with YB is that YB can be a source of data to race tracking.

12/04/2018 10:45 am  #5

Thanks gents
Really obvious when explained, Look at DMG column and do the mental arithmetic between the ref boat and any other. Thanks.

Board footera