Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/04/2018 8:46 pm  #11

Re: MOB Button and Expedition

Ventus, what you are logically suggesting is that everybody on board carries a Ventus device as a safety feature, and when the individual goes over the side, they do all the other things for preservation (PLB, grab for ring if thrown, inflate jacket, blow whistle, get out dye marker etc etc) and also trigger their own MOB by finding their device and hitting the button?  Come on.

8/04/2018 11:10 pm  #12

DuncanR wrote:

Zee, how?  That means you have a physical button on deck and it sends a message to Expedition?

Sorry, missed this question.
I have 2 NKE Multigraphics devices in the cockpit.  There is a physical MOB button on them. Also, the NKE remote control units that you wear have an MOB button. Both trigger the NKE MOB function which will in turn ensure that the displays in the cockpit will show distance and bearing to the MOB.   NKE also sends out a special NMEA sentence for MOB. When Expedition receives this sentence the Expedition MOB function is triggered.

Also, when you go overboard and the NKE remote gets out of range from the boat, the NKE MOB is triggered automatically and dependent on your settings the boat will turn into the wind or only raise an alarm.

8/05/2018 11:38 am  #13

ZeeZee wrote:

DuncanR wrote:

Zee, how?  That means you have a physical button on deck and it sends a message to Expedition?

Sorry, missed this question.
I have 2 NKE Multigraphics devices in the cockpit.  There is a physical MOB button on them. Also, the NKE remote control units that you wear have an MOB button. Both trigger the NKE MOB function which will in turn ensure that the displays in the cockpit will show distance and bearing to the MOB.   NKE also sends out a special NMEA sentence for MOB. When Expedition receives this sentence the Expedition MOB function is triggered.

Also, when you go overboard and the NKE remote gets out of range from the boat, the NKE MOB is triggered automatically and dependent on your settings the boat will turn into the wind or only raise an alarm.

No,
I'm just suggesting that if you want a button in the cockpit to trigger the Expedition MOB function that Ventus PRO does that. (which is what I thought your were originally asking if there was a way to do that) Each page on Ventus has a dedicate MOB button that triggers the Expedition MOB command. Offshore we sail with one at each helm station, generally showing targets, polars, or course for the helmsman depending on what is needed at the time, that is hardwired in so it always has power and is fully charged. The helmsman, or anyone else can press that button if you have a MOB, and the screen and any other screens showing Expedition data, will switch over to display Range and Bearing back to the MOB.

Board footera