Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2018 2:26 am  #1

Optimal route fails to complete when using 'avoid land' or race notes

I'm having an issue with optimal route where it fails to complete successfully when selecting any combination of 'Avoid vector chart land' or 'Avoid ENC land'.

The algorithm routes almost all the way to the end but then just quits without any error message or indication of what went wrong just a mile or two from the finish. The optimal route fails to show an optimal time and if stepping forward through the route the boat after final segment just disappears from the screen.  No tweeking of safe depths or whatever on chart settings helps. The 'finish' is quite close to "land" but nowhere close to any worrisome depth limits so not sure what is going on here.  It certainly puts the boat much closer to land (and shallower depth when compared to finish) in the middle of the succesful part of the optimal route with no issues. If I go into settings and clear the avoid land checkboxes the route finishes successfully (but routing over land) so it is not a problem with lack of wind data next to land or whatever.  Pretty stumped here.  Any suggestions welcome.

​I tried working around the issue by creating race notes around the land all along the race route and clearing settings checkboxes to avoid land but then expedition just unhelpfully fails to route by saying race notes cover the area...

​What to do then?  I don't want to add 'fake' marks just to force expedition quite a ways away from the land to avoid the bug but specially because there are useful wind shifts close to shore clearly known to humans and clearly ALSO shown on the GRIB file (ToolTip).  I could also move the finish mark quite away from its actual position (small in relation to the 80 mile length of the race)  but that just seems wrong, there has to be a better way.

​So, what else can be done to guide Expedition away from rounting over land?  Avoiding land checkboxes does not work and race notes don't work, what other trick is available? 

Suggestions quite welcome.

Thanks,

Alex

​I

Last edited by alphapuppy (5/24/2018 2:39 am)

5/24/2018 2:35 am  #2

Re: Optimal route fails to complete when using 'avoid land' or race notes

I use a mix of race notes and marks that are set to pass starboard or port as appropriate.
I find you don't need many marks for it to work.

5/24/2018 10:49 am  #3

Re: Optimal route fails to complete when using 'avoid land' or race notes

Most people use race notes a lot. You don't want too many as it does slow the solution.

Board footera