Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/26/2017 8:37 pm  #1

iPad mast or boom mount bracket

Firing up nmea remote and thinking I can use an old iPad for a poor mans mast display. 

Any suggestions on ready made brackets ? Ideally something that can tolerate a bit of bumping and not snag lines.

Semiconductor Development Engineer, Retired Viticulturalist, Occasional sailor
"Lioness" 1962 Hinckley Bermuda 40 Custom Yawl

9/26/2017 11:10 pm  #2

Re: iPad mast or boom mount bracket

Hey Sheldon

I use NMEAremote on a couple of boats, a Farr 44 and a Davidson  52.  I have provided the skipper with an iPad mini mounted to the binnacle using a Ram mount configuration.  You can pick an appropriate attach point, an arm and an iPad holder.

http://www.rammount.com

Additionally, I have another iPad for myself mounted at the pit.  I play navigator and pit man!  For that one, I use a magnetic plate stuck to the bulkhead and a couple of metal circles affixed to the iPad case (waterproof btw)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071W3661J/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It all works pretty well.  I use NMEARemote for the basic numbers and switch to VNC for direct access to Expedition on the computer downstairs.  NMEARemote is great but is missing a few important values.  I am in regular communication with the software author to encourage improvements.

I think you could find something on RamMount that will work for you.  Maybe a ball connector stuck on the mast and an ipad holder attached.

Hope that helps

F.

9/27/2017 1:27 pm  #3

Fergal,

I have the ram mount on binnacle sparring with my mainsheet and mizzen staysail .

That’s why thinking about a flush mast mount such as shown on Zapf page, to essentially emulate HV displays for day races.  I could also put it above companionway near analog gauges.

Last edited by sheldon.haynie (9/27/2017 1:28 pm)

9/27/2017 1:36 pm  #4

Sheldon

I see what you are saying, that is a nice setup on the Zapf page.  Why don't I drop an email to Michael Zapf and see if he has a solution he recommends.

Fergal

10/04/2017 11:18 am  #5

Hi Sheldon,
the iPad shown on my website is hosted in a case from "Andres Industries"
https://www.andres-industries-shop.de/epages/78133167.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/78133167/Categories/Produkte/Cases
which is mounted to a self made mast bracket. No big thing.
To be honest, an iPad is not the best friend at sunny conditions and needs at least a lot of power. You can read it but you should also think about a power cable. I'm still using it but thinking about to change to some "dedicated" mast displays like the ones from Garmin.

Best Regards
Michael Zapf

Last edited by Zapf (10/04/2017 11:19 am)

Owner zapfware

10/06/2017 5:47 am  #6

Thanks,

Power cable not an issue, we are finding the GFD on cabin bulkhead seem to attract bodies, putting a display forward should help.

Thinking I could fabricate an aluminum sun/side shade like on a traffic stop light to help contrast.

Board footera