Thanks for the suggestions guys but I finally got the problem solved by a Microsoft MSE-type who went into the registry to finally successfully completely uninstall Expedition prior to reinstalling with result that Stripchart now opens and functions as it should. The tech seemed to think that I had "corrupted" some file(s) which could not be uninstalled by the usual means. It seems that there is more to uninstalling than meets the untrained eye like mine.
I am describing this solution for the benefit of others who may run up against the same problem.
I suspect that I caused the problem in the first place when I started using multiple Expedition Program Data Files to avoid having to reset tons of stuff as I moved between the four boats/venues that have not had enough of me yet.