Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/09/2024 3:43 pm  #11

Re: Starlink early adopters

WoobaGooba wrote:

airacer wrote:

To update, after using it onboard while racing, I wouldn't use anything else. Happy to find that carbon sails had no significant effect when mounted on the transom. 

With that, it would be beneficial to add functionality within Expedition to take advantage of the higher bandwith availability.

I'm curious, what is the electrical system powering your install?  AFAIK Starlink requires somewhere between 6 and 10 amps to power?  Cheers

On the race boat I did a 12v conversion. No time to test or track draw, but we ran it off of a very simple electrical system with a 60ah LifePO4 house battery charged by alternator which also ran the instruments...a sketchy charging system. We did not have it on 24/7. We charged more than normal, but nothing too excessive.

The cruiser has a full electrical system & 600ah LifePO4. The Starlink will run off any inverter, at the moment is is drawing 50w. We also have a 12v setup for it aboard, which we find the PredictWind Datahub makes a nice router in conjunction and it saves an amp or two, but found it doesn't do as well in large waves.

More info here: https://sweetruca.com/starlink-on-our-sailboat-12v-conversion-how-to/

We are running the Mobile Global plan along with the RV dish, it does seem to take a long time to connect offshore. We are halfway between Chile and French Polynesia at the moment, and sometimes it will take over 1 hour to connect. The bigger the seas and more boat motion, the longer it takes.

If the budget is there, the marine dish is certainly better offshore. It does consume a little more power, but this may even out if you only turn it on every few hours for updates on a race boat.

Board footera