Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/26/2024 6:43 am  #1

Sending Expedition data fields to standalone B&G Zeus3 chartplotter

Does anyone have experience sending Expedition data fields (e.g. VMC, Bearing To Mark, etc) to a standalone B&G Zeus3 chartplotter?  My B&G setup doesn't include a B&G Processor.

I've tried using the Expedition Instrument Network connection options Websocket and NMEA0183 without luck. I receive all sensor data from B&G but can't send those data fields. Oddly, the upload of the Performance Polar works.

I'm considering getting either an Actisense NGT-1 NMEA2000 to USB or a Digital Yacht NavLink2 – NMEA 2000 to Wi-Fi.

Does anyone have experience with these devises and sending Expedition data to a B&G Zeus3 chartplotter?

4/03/2024 3:14 pm  #2

Re: Sending Expedition data fields to standalone B&G Zeus3 chartplotter

Hi Volker,

You could try using User Channels.  (I don't know if those are available without a processor) 

Sometimes, the plotters won't accept external sources of truth for values like that, as they believe they are the only source of truth for all things navigation-wise. 

Publish a value, such as Bearing to Mark, on a user channel and setup a data panel on the plotter to show that user channel value.

Craig.

4/03/2024 3:29 pm  #3

axyl,

thx for your feedback. This is the Expedition setup (see screenshot) that I tried and that failed to show up on the Zeus3 chart-plotter. Is this what you had in mind or how else should I set it up in Expedition?

Volker

4/15/2024 7:28 pm  #4

Hi Volker,

How are you expecting those values to show on the plotter?  When viewing the data, you must look at the external channel source data (on your plotter), not the default data values such as "VMC".  In case that wasn't clear from my earlier reply.

I'm surprised you're able to connect with web sockets without an H5. I did not think you could connect straight to the plotter with that protocol.

To my mind, your plotter is only on the n2k network (not ethernet) and your expedition will have some kind of interface to get it onto the n2k network too (Like an Actisense), unless you have a processer that's interfacing on both web sockets and n2k.

(I do run my plotters on ethernet, but that's for chart/master/slave sharing and FTP access to transfer waypoints.  (Zeus 3s))

Sorry if I'm wrong about this.

Craig.

4/16/2024 1:08 am  #5

I have connected to the Zeus platters directly with the websockets.
They support both NMEA over ethernet and websockets but the websockets isn't everything the H5k supports.

4/16/2024 4:37 am  #6

axyl and sparky,
thanks for your feedback. As sparky said yes you can connect to the Zeus3 directly using a websocket. However, this interface doesn't have the same capabilities as the H5k websocket interface. That's typical B&G.
Next I'll try to connect using a Yacht Devices NMEA 2000 Ethernet Gateway YDEN-02. I'll update you when I have the device installed and tested.
PS: Yes I was looking for the Expedition data on the B&G in the Other category. At least that where Expedition data shows up on a H5k setup.

4/16/2024 6:15 pm  #7

Great stuff.  Looking at the raw data on the B&G instrument settings page of Expedition, you could also confirm that the data is going out as expected.  (I'm sure it is, but I like to check each step.)  I'd keep the keep the names generic to start with.

4/25/2024 3:15 am  #8

Volker wrote:

axyl and sparky,
thanks for your feedback. As sparky said yes you can connect to the Zeus3 directly using a websocket. However, this interface doesn't have the same capabilities as the H5k websocket interface. That's typical B&G.
Next I'll try to connect using a Yacht Devices NMEA 2000 Ethernet Gateway YDEN-02. I'll update you when I have the device installed and tested.
PS: Yes I was looking for the Expedition data on the B&G in the Other category. At least that where Expedition data shows up on a H5k setup.

Proceed with caution. I'd prefer an Actisense NGT-1

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

Board footera