Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/17/2023 5:09 am  #11

Re: Iridium Go Exec

I am trying to setup the firewall rules in the Go! exec, but to no avail. I have set Expedition's Internet settings to "direct internet" and the DNS error message went away. But I am still running into a timeout. Wireshark tells me, that there are TCP packets coming back from the server - I am a bit lost here. Anyone an idea?

9/10/2023 10:22 am  #12

Go user here looking at an Exec upgrade for 2024 events.  Do I understand that the Go external antenna is not compatible with the Exec?  Our workflow has all our data incoming from XGate email, so I believe we avoid "data sucking" problem.  Cheers

3/16/2024 7:19 am  #13

My boat is upgrading from the Go to the Go Exec (we can't afford the Starlink power budget).  I have an Exec in hand, but yet to load a SIM (soon).  Our workflows have been entirely XGate based with the old Go, but we'll start testing Direct to Internet with Exp and the Exec.  It seems with the Exec that we need to manually connect at the Exec, do our business in Exp or XGate, then disconnect the Exec, correct?  Even with a Metered Connection and only the PC connected to the Exec, it is not clear how to prohibit all but Exp or XGate traffic from the PC when the connection is open.  Is anyone able to offer guidance re: proper configuration of the Exec firewall?  Or am I overly concerned about the unwanted bandwidth usage?  Cheers

3/17/2024 10:14 am  #14

That was our setup back when it came out: metered connection, turn off any software with automatic updates on the PC (and there's a lot that works in the background you typically don't notice). Then we would get everything lined up regarding emails or weather we needed to get or send, and turn on the exec, get everything done as quickly as possible and turn it off.  Ultimately, we gave up on it; we ran out of data several times, having to use the iridium go to contact people on shore to set up additional data (once it was out of data there was no way to use it to get additional data), then having to monitor every bit of data was too burdensome; we went back to Iridium Go and recently upgraded to Starlink (while keeping the trusted Iridium Go working in the background for things like position reports and emails). 

Best of luck with it!  (It did work very well when it had good reception, we just didn't want to keep having to monitor data usage in our case)

3/17/2024 1:46 pm  #15

https://tripmode.ch/tripmode-for-windows/ is not supported anymore, but still works perfect for me with both the Go Exec and the Certus 700. You can try it for free and buy it for 30 Euro.

3/17/2024 11:56 pm  #16

Try Glasswire to restrict access to the network.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

4/08/2024 7:46 pm  #17

Folks.  I am about to put a SIM into our new Exec w/ dual mode antenna, then put Expedition and XGate through a few tests.  A couple questions re: the previous posts.

- Overage.  I was told by BlueCosmos/Roadpost that you don't get shutoff when you hit your limits, just charged extra usage fees.

- Why is something like Glasswire needed?  The Exec contain a firewall.

BTW not impressed with the build quality of the antenna nor the Exec cradle mount.

Thanks

4/08/2024 10:04 pm  #18

WoobaGooba wrote:

Folks.  I am about to put a SIM into our new Exec w/ dual mode antenna, then put Expedition and XGate through a few tests.  A couple questions re: the previous posts.

- Overage.  I was told by BlueCosmos/Roadpost that you don't get shutoff when you hit your limits, just charged extra usage fees.

- Why is something like Glasswire needed?  The Exec contain a firewall.

BTW not impressed with the build quality of the antenna nor the Exec cradle mount.

Thanks

Glasswire allows you to view all traffic and block specific apps etc from accessing the internet and chewing through data.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

4/09/2024 10:44 am  #19

Thanks Campbell.  I loaded Glasswire last night.   Great tool.  I was able to pretty quickly define an Offshore profile allowing only Expedition and XGate traffic to the WAN connection.   .

Board footera