Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2023 5:19 am  #1

Error "Unable to import" when trying to get Aviation weather sat pics

Hi all,

A question if I may. 

Recently my version of Expedition (latest version with installation file ExpeditionSetup4D_11_19_23) started getting errors. When I closed the software, my wx routings disappeared next time after reopening, although these should have be saved according to my settings.

Also, a file went corrupt. The marks.dat file. I deleted that one. Ran a /scannow on the C:-drive in MS-DOS. Repaired stuff.

Further, when weatherrouting, the Optimalisation progress icon stays at 1% and never goes to 100% any longer.

So finally, I de- and re-installed the Expedition software.

But I stil have bugs. 

1. When downloading via My pics - Aviation satellite weather pics, I get an error "Unable to import" for all sat pics. Other pics load just fine.

2. Further, the Optimalisation Progress icon is still stuck at 1%, even after successful routing. 

The Window log files seem OK for errors and warnings.

Any suggestions are welcome! 

Cheers,

Herman

Edit; running on Microsoft Windows 11 Home Versie 10.0.22631 Build 22631

Last edited by Herman_NL (12/06/2023 5:22 am)

12/06/2023 10:11 am  #2

Re: Error "Unable to import" when trying to get Aviation weather sat pics

Hello,

I see the Aviation options aren'tworking, thanks. The links may be broken - I will investigate for the next Exp update.

Yes, the progress is a known bug. Fixed for the next update too.

12/06/2023 10:24 am  #3

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the quick reply. For now I will wait for the new update.

Have a nice evening,

Herman

12/06/2023 12:15 pm  #4

Hello,
It appears the Aviation centre satellite images no longer exist.

12/06/2023 11:22 pm  #5

Indeed, they moved the pics to another site that is not operational yet; https://beta.aviationweather.gov/

Please note that my Optimal - Results wx routings still all disappear after closing and opening the application, although the Optimised routes to keep is set to 60.

I found a workaround; keep Expedition active and set my laptop in sleep modus and not fully power it down if I want to backtest the wx routings against the actual positions later on. 

My preference would be though to retain the wx routings without the workaround, if possible.

12/07/2023 10:04 am  #6

The optimal routes should restore. They are saved to a file, normally C:\ProgramData\Expedition\optimal2.dat

Make sure Exp is being allowed to write to this.

12/07/2023 12:54 pm  #7

Thanks for that tip!

The optimal2.dat file has not been changed since Nov 2nd. So something is definitly not good here as I have been routing almost daily in the past months.

There seems to be a conflict in the file privileges for the Users-account. That was twice mentionned with different priviliges. I will delete the one with lesser priviliges and test tomorrow if this helps or not.

12/14/2023 4:39 am  #8

Update and guidance for others with this problem.

I made a backup of the whole Expedition folder. Deleted the program twice (!). I had both the Expedition and the Expeditin 4D versions installed, it seems. Seem to have mixed-up which version to update. Deleted the C:\ProgramData\Expedition folder. Emptied trash can. Restarted laptop. Re-installed Expedition 4D.

A lot of files were actually missing when comparing the clean install against the old backup. So copied from the backup the missing files and folders.

Stil app was not working properly (could not open file wx_1.dat error screen), even with running the Exp app with admin privileges. So went into the MS File manager, and with elevated / admin rights I did set for all accounts to have full control of the Expedition folder C:\ProgramData\Expedition and all folders and files below that. Deleted the take ownership from folders above setting first.

Stuff is fully working again after a couple of hours.

Again thanks for your tip, my problem is solved.

Last edited by Herman_NL (12/14/2023 4:42 am)

Board footera