ExpeditionExpedition Navigation Software


Click Here for Expedition Assistant - AI Chatbot

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/05/2017 8:19 am  #1


Best times to run engine

Currently helping out for a delivery to St. Lucia.
Ending up leaving several days late so 25+kt broad reach is now a 10-15 beat most of the way.  Not enough fuel to run for 10+ days under motor.
I don't know if it is possible but knowing when would be the optimal times to run the engine in order to catch that shift/front/etc...  I think that would be useful
Constraints being how many hours of run time are available based on available fuel.

 

12/05/2017 12:02 pm  #2


Re: Best times to run engine

Hello,
See the advanced optimal routing settings. There is an option for motoring and a minimum boat speed at which to start motoring.

 

12/05/2017 12:20 pm  #3


Re: Best times to run engine

I have been using that and it is helpful.  It however assumes you have unlimited fuel.  You can reduce the cutover point to control how much motoring.  But I can see a situation where you only have 1 days worth of fuel for example and need to decide when to use it.  If I am only making 4 kts under sail but 7 under power.  It might make sense to know when going 7 kts could get you to the next favorable bit of breeze.  Or maybe I am overthinking this.

     •Thread Starter
 

Board footera




Check out RaceData for iOS and Android. Expedition data in the palm of your hand, or on your wrist! RaceData

Interested in advertising here? Over one thousand active navigators and Expedition users visit this forum. Click here to contact the administrator.