Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/05/2017 8:19 am  #1

Best times to run engine

Currently helping out for a delivery to St. Lucia.
Ending up leaving several days late so 25+kt broad reach is now a 10-15 beat most of the way.  Not enough fuel to run for 10+ days under motor.
I don't know if it is possible but knowing when would be the optimal times to run the engine in order to catch that shift/front/etc...  I think that would be useful
Constraints being how many hours of run time are available based on available fuel.

12/05/2017 12:02 pm  #2

Re: Best times to run engine

Hello,
See the advanced optimal routing settings. There is an option for motoring and a minimum boat speed at which to start motoring.

12/05/2017 12:20 pm  #3

Re: Best times to run engine

I have been using that and it is helpful.  It however assumes you have unlimited fuel.  You can reduce the cutover point to control how much motoring.  But I can see a situation where you only have 1 days worth of fuel for example and need to decide when to use it.  If I am only making 4 kts under sail but 7 under power.  It might make sense to know when going 7 kts could get you to the next favorable bit of breeze.  Or maybe I am overthinking this.

Board footera