Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2017 6:26 pm  #1

Remote desktop apps

I'm breaking in a brand new Panasonic Toughpad. I'm having constant disconnection events (like every 30 seconds or a minute) with both Microsoft Remote Desktop (Win 10) and Splashtop - and this is with tablet and laptop at home, warm and dry, and a metre apart from each other.
MSRDP disconnects appears to be a known problem - although it didn't occur on the previous tablet, now trashed.  Splashtop the same.
I can't really control the laptop from the tablet, but I think that might be to do with disconnect/reconnection issues.
Any one been down this path?  What other possible apps are there?
Cheers

1/18/2017 8:51 pm  #2

Re: Remote desktop apps

Hi, This does not sound like an app problem. The RDP app works very well for me across multiple platforms.
I would check wifi signal, and maybe you will need to use a fixed ip address for the main computer. I only have Windows 7 at home and it works perfectly. I do run Win 10 on one yacht and the system works well there. We did have some issues but a new wifi antenna fixed that. Cheers, Will.

1/18/2017 8:52 pm  #3

One more thing... make sure you disable any virus checkers to see if this is a possible problem. Cheers, Will

1/18/2017 10:40 pm  #4

Hmmmm, thanks Will.  It doesn't appear to be a wifi issue, at least not a signal strength issue, which is 4/5 bars on both devices - and they are a metre apart, not either side of a carbon deck.  Why would a fixed IP address have an impact?
Cheers

1/20/2017 1:31 am  #5

It is most probably a router issue - what are you using to create the wifi network? here is what I would try:

1. Try a different wifi channel
2. Try 2.4 or 5 gHz
3. Remove all encryption/security
4. Set fixed IP's for all devices

Security is not really an issue since no-one could connect to your PC without knowing your PC usename and password etc, even if they could figure out your IP address range.

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

1/20/2017 8:33 am  #6

Agree with Cambell.
I use a W10 laptop for Exp and an Android tablet or phone running the Microsoft remote desktop app.  This is a super stable configuration.
From the various apps I tried I by far prefer the MS remote desktop app as it gives you the better 'touch screen'  feeling.  Only disadvantage is that as soon as you take over the desktop on the tablet,  the PC gets logged.  Next time when you are in the nav station and want to use the PC itself you have to login again.  

1/20/2017 9:04 am  #7

ZeeZee wrote:

Agree with Cambell.
I use a W10 laptop for Exp and an Android tablet or phone running the Microsoft remote desktop app.  This is a super stable configuration.
From the various apps I tried I by far prefer the MS remote desktop app as it gives you the better 'touch screen'  feeling.  Only disadvantage is that as soon as you take over the desktop on the tablet,  the PC gets logged.  Next time when you are in the nav station and want to use the PC itself you have to login again.  

I use a simple password, I.e. 1, or a, or q etc, then it's just two keyboard presses...

:::Campbell Field::::::www.fieldyachting.com:::

1/20/2017 10:37 am  #8

You read my mind Campbell 😀

1/20/2017 11:30 am  #9

This ought to be dead simple, and it is nothing of the kind:
1. Enable remote access on the host - give the host a password if it doesn't have one, otherwise nada
2. Find the IP address of the host (IP Vp4)
3. Find the user name and password on the tablet
4.  Connect using the host IP address and tablet user name and password.

"Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these three reasons etc".  Sometimes gets as far as asking for password, but mostly not.  Have also tried using host name as user name, no dice.
What am I doing wrong?

1/20/2017 12:04 pm  #10

Assuming your computer's name is "PcDuncan" and the user name you want to login with is "Duncan", you need to login with the MS remote desktop app as follow:

PC name: PcDuncan
User name: PcDuncan\Duncan

Board footera