Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/06/2016 4:39 pm  #1

Tidetech Input to Expedition via Iridium Phone? HELP!

I've been using Tidetech for my weather input with Expedition as I learn how to use it at home. And I think I've got it working fairly well. But now I'm going to get on the boat and going off shore, so no internet. I have an Iridium 9555 phone but don't know how to connect to get the Tidetech info.

Someone please HELP! HELP! HELP!

Thank you in advance for doing so.

6/06/2016 8:40 pm  #2

Re: Tidetech Input to Expedition via Iridium Phone? HELP!

I just went through this today. 
If your OS is Win10 the the USB/COM driver will cause the dreaded BSOD system crash.
If you are using an earlier version of windows then you can follow these instructions:

https://sailmail.com/category/satellite-phones/iridium-handsets/

On the sailmail website they say they have a solution for win10 but when I emailed them, i never heard back.

Ocens has a WiFi router (SideKick) that has the dialer codes built in so you can dial out using a wifi connection from any computer.  BUT, it has a built in FireWall that only allows connections to its own weather service.
I believe other Sat services offer similar services/hardware.  I don't know if they have the same restrictions or not.

That being said
I think (not 100%) TideTech is just Tide and Current Data.  The Gulf Stream file is 5MB.  The data rate on the 9555 is 2400 Baud.  That will take you about 5 hours if you are lucky to keep a connection open that long.
If this is for the N2B race then download the TideTech data before you leave cell phone range.  

Weather Gribs are much smaller and a lot of sources have the ability to retrieve via email. 

Board footera