Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2023 12:53 am  #1

NMEA/numbers sources troubleshoot improvement

Hi
I just spent a day troubleshooting which was actually a very simple mistake. But it told me there are way to improve the nmea troubleshooting part. It’s low priority, but I’ll throw it out there.

So i have an older Raymarine seatalk1 network which I just upgraded to a second hand Garmin n2k system. I used to have only displays on n2k, so it was fairly simple, all sensors accumulated on the seatalk, came in thru a vyacht udp stream, and went out on n2k to the displays.

Now I have a hybrid setup with most of the data on n2k but the autopilot and its sensors still on ST. So I had some conflicting data. I had the vyacht translator plugged in as n2k too, and I wrestled with me disabling it as a heading source yet still coming in. I just realized it was still coming in over UDP, and messing up the system.

Anyway, here are my ideas:
-The antisense n2k raw data is very cool, but if there are multiple sources, they just momentarily flicker between. I’d love to have a second source in a second line, so I can tell there is something there or not
-I understand the raw source window is raw, but maybe it can still grey out a source/line if it’s disabled in the n2k sources. What happens now is I have two heading sata coming in, I can see the source number flicking back and forth in the raw window, but the only way to tell if it’s read by the system is to watch the number boxes like a hawk. It kinda worked on heading which is easily seen but I can see it being a bigger problem on more difficult sources.
-now for the crazier part. So my problem was that I was watching the heading in the number box, trying to see if I disabled the right n2k and actually being fooled by a network source. The problem was mitigated by a bad udp connection so the network source comes and goes. Point being, I cannot tell if my heading number is coming from what source. I can go into all the network streams and disable all the sentences one by one but it’s a nightmare. What would be best, with so many sources, is kinda like an overview table, variables down and sources across, so I can see something is coming in from let’s say 3 n2k sources, one network and one serial. Like right now I have 3 gps sources on n2k, one from seatalk and one over usb. I know you tackled gps separately but this will be for all sources.

Board footera