Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/09/2023 10:40 am  #1

Tablets; Anything New?

Just wondering...
Has there been any significant change in the tablets available for Expedition in, say, the last year ot two?
I would consider either screen mirroring from a laptop, or a wind 10 tablet that runs expedition.
I own both a Panasonic Toughpad (win 10), and an iPad, so I have experience with both approaches.
I was not that happy with either of those devices.
What does anyone think is the best tablet solution now?

Last edited by us7070 (2/09/2023 10:41 am)

2/10/2023 9:14 am  #2

Re: Tablets; Anything New?

Well since nobody else has said anything...

The tablet market has really died and the waterproof market is even smaller. I don't think much new has been introduced in years.

Campbell has the MESA2 and MESA3 tablets. I have not tried them...

There is nothing like a waterproof PC in iPad size.

2/28/2023 8:38 am  #3

Hey so I will shortly be incorporating Expedition into our boats nav package for the first time for inshore and short coastal racing. I will have an NUC style ssd computer downstairs which will then be repeated/controlled from on deck by a tablet. The Mesa is slightly out of the budget for the moment. I am looking at an iPad in a waterproof case. I have a couple of questions on it.

Is the iPad mini 8 inch screen large enough? It seems like a very good size and weight of tablet, easy to hold in one hand etc.

Should I also get a stylus? Apply pencil etc or is just using fingers fine?

I have looked at a lot of android tablets and some seem very good but I can’t find waterproof cases for them.

The one android tablet I was looking at that is rugged is the Samsung Active 4 Pro, but I haven’t found much reviews of its use in the wild and it also seems very heavy for constant use.

Any help greatly appreciated!

2/28/2023 9:05 am  #4

I used to use an Ipad mini but I'm happier with the full sized Ipad.
Waterproof cases are a pain in the ass. The market has largely been abandoned.

LifeProof was good but don't support anything but brandnew devices if they have support at all. The problem with that was even LifeProof cases only last about a year of hard use. --- I don't replace my iPad every year.

2/28/2023 2:41 pm  #5

You might take a look at SailProof tablets. I have the 8inch a couple of years now. Only drawback is the older Android version on it. They have a 10" now also, and they were busy with a windows tablet also.

3/01/2023 1:26 am  #6

Paul from https://ruggedtabs.co.nz/ set me up with an Xplore tablet a long time ago. Now I use a Mesa3 also supplied by Paul, but next time I am thinking of using Paul’s own range he has developed with a factory in China. Seems like he has some good options.

I’m thinking to try his 10” windows version with Remote Desktop back to the nav PC and a local EXP copy as a backup. I sail on multiple boats each season so need something to connect to each boat or run stand alone when the boat has no option.

I’m also building a small water tight container with a Wi-Fi AP and various other connectors so I can plug in to any system, plus a Sailmon Max setup for  when a boat has nothing available.

3/04/2023 4:39 pm  #7

Samob wrote:

Is the iPad mini 8 inch screen large enough? It seems like a very good size and weight of tablet, easy to hold in one hand etc.

I'm guessing you mean the newest gen iPad mini? If so, I have been using one and I've found it slightly too small. I don't wear glasses so reckon my eyesight is OK but I find myself squinting a lot. As a result am thinking of trading it in for a full size iPad. The flip side is that it's an excellent size to hold, tuck into a jacket etc. 

3/08/2023 8:11 am  #8

Hi, I am also looking at tablets and interested in what others are currently using & liking. I am considering a Samsung Active Pro, anyone tried it? 
For reference I do a variety of different things on boats like nav but also running around on coach boats for dinghies and working with RC, etc. So running Exp is one thing I'd like it to do, but it won't live on the deck of a boat. 

- What is needed to run Exp on an Android tablet? A certain app, or will it run natively? I have only ever run Exp on a Windows PC. 
Thanks in advance!

3/08/2023 9:04 am  #9

Chelsea_Carlson wrote:

Hi, I am also looking at tablets and interested in what others are currently using & liking. I am considering a Samsung Active Pro, anyone tried it? 
For reference I do a variety of different things on boats like nav but also running around on coach boats for dinghies and working with RC, etc. So running Exp is one thing I'd like it to do, but it won't live on the deck of a boat. 

- What is needed to run Exp on an Android tablet? A certain app, or will it run natively? I have only ever run Exp on a Windows PC. 
Thanks in advance!

Expedition doesn't run natively on an Android tablet -- the best you could do is remote into a Windows system running expedition.

3/08/2023 6:57 pm  #10

Do not touch Samsung tablets for marine applications.  PM me if you want the details.
Also, as noted by Sparky, the only way to use Expedition on them is via emulation software, and Splashtop for Android, while it works, hasn't been updated in some time.

Board footera