Expedition Expedition Navigation Software

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/16/2022 9:49 pm  #1

Zeus3 sending data to Garmin GNX 120

Hello, we are considering buying a Garmin GNX 120 display. Does anyone know if it will display the data that is calibrated from the Zeus/Triton package or will it only recieve and display raw N2K data from the instruments?

(We don't have an H5000 or use Exp. channels for data display)

Cheers!

12/17/2022 12:21 am  #2

Re: Zeus3 sending data to Garmin GNX 120

Hi. We have in our system a Vulcan R7 but only as a nmea display and autopilot controller. On GNX120 sources list only appears (vulcan) as a source of navigation data (GPS,WP,…) 

12/18/2022 5:06 pm  #3

It depends on which NMEA2k PGNs the Zeus can publish to the bus.  My experience with my Zeus 3 was that the GNX “saw” the Zeus as a source for GPS data like COG, bearing and distance to waypoint, etc.  Are you trying to get calculated values from, for example, RacePanel?  IIRC the installation manuals list all the PGNs the Zeus 3 transmits.  If the Zeus transmits and the GNX can display the PGN your good to go.

12/18/2022 8:13 pm  #4

Thanks gonzgo and skippermfj  for you replies. Appreciated. 

@skippermdj I'm trying to get the wind data etc. that has had the calibrations applied to it in the Zeus3 / Tritons. Same for boatspeed.

12/21/2022 4:42 am  #5

I’ve not tried to do this.  What I did is hooked up my nav PC with Expedition to the NMEA bus with an Actisense interface, put my calibrations in Expedition, and configured Expedition to output calibrated AWA, AWS, TWD, etc.  IIRC I created custom PGNs which then showed up on the GNX source list.  This let Expedition do the math and bypasses any damping or calculations in the GNX that might muck up the numbers.

The manual I’m looking at for the Zeus3 is a bit contradictory.  It just says that “any calibrations made here will ONLY apply to this unit.”  On Pg 47 of my Installation Guide it says that PGN 130306 Wind Data is output.  You may need to set a unique device ID so that the GNX can distinguish the Zeus from your default wind sensor.  If you can then see the Zeus as a source of wind data on the GNX give it a try and see if your calibrations are applied.

you could also try giving B&G tech support a call and ask them what "wind data" exactly is output by the Zeus.  

Good luck and fair winds!

Last edited by skippermdj (12/21/2022 4:46 am)

12/21/2022 10:26 pm  #6

Thanks for the advice!

Board footera